Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

muzzle brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM

muzzle brakes

i been looking at all the different threads on this board and i seen several people talk about the vais muzzle brake.

i have pretty much decided on a sendero 300rum and i'm going to put a brake on it.
i have several brakes from answer products and really am impressed with them.has anyone else here have any experience with this muzzle brake?
anyway i always opened minded for something better if it's out there so give me your opinons and or experiences with muzzle brakes.

stric9
Old 07-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: muzzle brakes

First off most breaks out there work pretty good. I think tank styles breaks like JP and holland work the best. But on the switch side for the money i don't think you can beat Harrel's. The vias style works good but I don't think there worth the money they want for them. Harrels breaks are $30 and the jp tank style are around a $100. Hope this helps
Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

Go with the Vais brake , the money should not matter .
You spend that much money for a rifle an then go cheepst rouite the rest of the way . I would not go with the cheepest route ,

I have an Vais on my 7 mm stw an love it. I have an buddy that put an vais on a 300 Mag it made the recoil feel like an 308 or 30 06 recoil .

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge, Inc has released three new brake designs. They come in a small 1/2" thread diameter, medium 5/8" and he just told me he now has his large 1" diameter brakes ready to roll.

I have always been a Holland man but with my Allen Magnums, especially when chambered in lighter weight rifles, the Hollands almost produced to much down trust from their top ports which really are not needed with a large capacity small to medium bore rifle.

As such I have switched from Holland to the Defensive Edge brake edge Brakes as my go-to choice. I will fit whatever a customer wants but if its left up to me it will be a Defensive Edge.

With the Hollands I always had a vibration in the barrel after the shot, they reduce felt recoil very well but you could just feel that vibration and in lighter rifles like my 257 Allen Mag, you would actually loose the sight picture from the barrel being forced down to aggressively.

I have tested Shawns new brakes on my 6.5mm Allen Mag and 270 Allen Mags and recoil reduction is the same as the Hollands, but the difference is the rifles feel rock solid at the shot, no vibration at all, no recoil either!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

They are fully machined and made from true 416 stainless to better match most match grade stainless steel barrels of the same alloy.

Price wise they run the same installed as a Holland but I feel they are a better brake in several aspects.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Where can we see a detailed picture os Shawn's new brake?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

I personaly like the baffel style brakes like the holland and feel that they are a better choice if your gonna be shooting from a bench or from prone. If a brake has ports in the bottom its gonna disturb anything thats under the gun like dirt and such which generaly ends up in your eye.
Go with the Holland or The Defensive edge brake.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Here is one of Shawns smaller diameter 1/2" thread brakes. They are slightly longer then the Holland but will also be closer to the muzzle diameter as well.

This is the side view(obviously [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) compared to a Holland 1/2" threaded QD brake.

The ports are round instead of oblong on this small brake design and the top of each port is releaved to offer JUST enough vertical muzzle control on light weight rifles but not so much that it will pin the barrel down into the stock.

This the top view also compared with a Holland 1/2" thread brake. You can see the relief on the top of each port. This is the brake that is on my lightweight 7mm Allen Mag(7.5 lbs) which is currently with Shawn getting teflon coated flat Black. It will soon be put through its paces and I will report fully on the performance of that brake and rifle for that matter.

The 5/8" threaded brake is very simpliar to the Holland in appearance except that the ports are slightly different in size and position in relationship to each other. Also, the 5/8" brake comes untapered and in that state will match up nearly perfectly with a #8 Lilja contour barrel with a muzzle diameter in the 0.875" range. For all smaller diameter barrels you can easily taper the brake to match the muzzle diameter. The ports on these brakes are not releaved at the top of each port. The barrels these brakes are designed for are relatively heavy contoured barrels so muzzle jump is really not a concern. Recoil reduction is the main chore and this design works very well, at least equally as well as the Holland.

This is the brake I have tested on my wifes 6.5mm Allen Magnum. I do not have any detailed pics of it yet but I can get a few taken and post them.

I have yet to get any of the new 1" diameter brakes but will be soon.

Not the best pics but they give you an idea.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com