Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

muzzle brake recomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Silver Member

muzzle brake recomendations

Still waiting for my 110ba to show up and the wait was killing me so I loaded up some rounds for the 358 Norma, grabbed the 22 and took the step kids out to the range for the afternoon. I used to have a muzzle brake on it but it was a poorly designed one and I couldn't group or hit the broadside of a barn with it. Took the brake off and cut the threads off it to screw back onto the end of the barrel to save the threads and back to cloverleafs at 100 yrds and consistently hitting a 4"x4" plate at 200. God that puts a smile on my face to hear that smack . Problem is I am now starting to flinch after 5 or so shots and am reminded of why I had put a brake on it to begin with. Any one have any recomendations on a PROPERLY designed brake that I can put on this gun or a recomendation on who to talk to about one. Preferably a Canadian one as getting gun stuff across the border seems to take a lot longer than it should in my opinion. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 04-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: muzzle brake recomendations

Muscle Brake! They work very well. My Buddy has one on his 338 EDGE.

Defiance Rebel 338 Norma Mag 24" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4 stock
G7 NF NXS 5.5-22X50MM

Savage LA 7SAUM 20" Benchmark Barrel
Manners T4
308 Varminter 2.0 Suppressor
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA

Remington 700 SA 22-243 Win
26" SS Benchmark Barrel 1-8 Twist
Grey Bull Precision Stock
Built by Hazer@Bison Barrels in Gillette,WY
Sightron SIII 6.5-24X50MM LRMOA

Tikka T3 Lite 270 WSM
Greybull Precision Scope
Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 PM
SPONSOR

Don't have any Canadian connections, but to add to the first suggestion:
Holland's Radial, Kirby's PainKiller, and Shawn's brake
Old 04-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

I have used a rifle with Kirby's pain killer on it. It is a 338 Lapua that recoils less than my 308 Winny.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Any of the above mentioned brakes are good !

The trick is to have it installed by a competent gun smith .

An improperly installed brake of any kind may have a major effect on accuracy, and it sounds
like this is what you had.

I have seen some of the best brakes that were installed wrong kill the accuracy of a good rifle,
and after re-cutting the barrel threads and truing the bore of the brake do a complete turn around
in accuracy.

The worst case was where a person (I won't call him a smith for a good reason) used a die nut
to cut the the barrel threads (The brakes are normally threaded from the maker of the break)
and the bullet was striking the break.

The difference in breaks is there effectiveness to reduce recoil and muzzle climb. one is not
any more accurate than the other if installed correctly, just more or less effective.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Any of the above mentioned brakes are good !

The trick is to have it installed by a competent gun smith .

An improperly installed brake of any kind may have a major effect on accuracy, and it sounds
like this is what you had.

I have seen some of the best brakes that were installed wrong kill the accuracy of a good rifle,
and after re-cutting the barrel threads and truing the bore of the brake do a complete turn around
in accuracy.

The worst case was where a person (I won't call him a smith for a good reason) used a die nut
to cut the the barrel threads (The brakes are normally threaded from the maker of the break)
and the bullet was striking the break.

The difference in breaks is there effectiveness to reduce recoil and muzzle climb. one is not
any more accurate than the other if installed correctly, just more or less effective.

J E CUSTOM
The issue I had with mine was 3 different diameters along the length of the brake itself and poor port design, the bullet was striking the brake just as it was exiting. After I had paid for it I was informed by the gunsmith who built it that I was his first customer to try that experimental and three after me all had problems as well. And I quote "guess that design didn't work worth a sh%^ huh?" No mention of replacing it or giving my money back, hence the reason why I'm on here looking for a new one
Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Here is contact info for a local guy that makes a fantastic brake.

email is rem40xb1@msn.com phone 208 587 8993

His name is Ross,

Here is a vid of one of his test.

Last edited by fj40mojo; 04-26-2011 at 12:18 AM.