Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

which muzzle brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2003, 05:29 PM

which muzzle brake

I am seriously considering a muzzle brake on a Rem. 700 300 RUM. I've sort of narrowed the choices down to Vais and Answer Products. I would appreciate any comments, good or not so good, on these two brakes. Feel free to mention any other brake that I should consider.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: which muzzle brake

Check with S1 or STL_Shooter about the anti-torque brake seems to work very well. I believe that Dave King but, it be Darryl Cassel that tried it out also.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the LRH forum,

S1's brake has an oddball thread and you would need to send him your rifle for him to install, if I remember correctly.

STL Shooter and Len have both shot the 30 Wolf with them and they might give a comparison to the Vias etc.

Darryl C. has used both the Vias and KDF brakes and says one is louder, and the other is just a bit more effective, I can't remember which one was which though.

I've shot my brothers 338/378wby with a Holland (3 side slots) brake found in Brownells, it is super effective and doesn't dirrect gas downward to blow up dirt when shooting off a bipod either.

I don't have any on my rifles, but the one on my Savage striker if effective, not to the extent that the Holland is though.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

I like the KDF better then the Vais brakes.

They seem to dampen the recoil better then the Vais.

All brakes are extremely loud.
Learn to hunt with your Peltor Tacticals on at all times. Makes you hear thngs in the woods you would never would have and at long distances.
keeps your ears warm in cold weather too.

Later

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 02-26-2003, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

I was just checking out the Peltor tactical muffs, does anyone know which model messes with your stock weld the least?
Old 02-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Gonetocamp, I have reported elsewhere on the forum that on and off testing of S1's brake design with 178s, 210s and 220s has proven to me that it dramatically reduces torque and felt recoil.

I discussed the brake design in-depth with a Boeing fluid dynamics engineer at a party the other night. His recommendation, after understanding S1's design, was to "buy stock in his company - he knows his stuff...".

SR90, I use the Peltor ComTac muffs. Since they're waterproof, I wear them all the time - sometimes all day - while hunting. They enhance the experience, and don't bother my stock weld at all...
Old 02-27-2003, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

Thanks STL