Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Muzzle brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

Muzzle brake

The gun I am getting built will have a muzzle brake on it. I will be using this rifle primarily for long range, but will also use it for short range brush hunting while hiking to and from my long range set up spots. In doing this, there will be times that I may have to shoot quickly and would not be able to put on ear protection. Will shooting a 338 edge without ear protection blow an eardrum? does everyone that shoots with a brake, always wear ear protection? Last question: Has anyone used a dummy brake (not sure if there is a name for it) for this time of hunting. I was thinking of getting a threaded dummy brake for brush hunting( which would only be close range) and then as part of the set up process for a long range hunting, I could screw on the actual brake. I will talk to Shawn about this soon, but until I have a chance to do that, what are your thoughts?

Thanks alot for your help
Old 10-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
there will be times that I may have to shoot quickly and would not be able to put on ear protection.
I would seriously look at the 'new' electronic versions of ear plugs - they cost more, but for this situation would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
Will shooting a 338 edge without ear protection blow an eardrum? does everyone that shoots with a brake, always wear ear protection?
Thanks alot for your help
I have a Vais muzzle brake installed on my .308 (they market it to be the "quietest") it is definitely much 'tamer' for the shooter! Just don't be along side it when it goes off - as you will find out the report is rather different from the shooter position behind the rifle. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using that caliber without ear protection - mate, your ears will thank you for it in 20 years time.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

I have a pair of proears electronic muffs. I can see how they would work great for long range hunting. with that being said, last weekend i tried to wear them while I was on a push, head down a long draw. after just a short time, I had to take them off as it just wasnt working for me. anyway, I will shorten my question, Is there any reason not to have a brake that is removable?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

with or without a muzzle brake you are risking permanent hearing loss.

the new electronic ear muffs are well worth the money and directional and not that expensive.

BH
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

If there is nothing close that the sound can bounce off it can be okay for a shot, otherwise your ear drum is going to CRYYYY badly. I've always got with me some good ear plugs.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

I have installed a bunch of these and it seems to fill your request. Personally I shoot nothing without hearing protection. However I do understand there are times like in a bear encounter its best to keep both hands on your gun.

Neal
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Wouldn't that change point of impact?