Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

For most a break makes shooting more enjoyable. So they often shoot more making them a better shot.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

What did you say? I can't hear you. If you do it, be sure you have a brake you can screw a blank on when hunting or take lots of hearing protection.
FE
Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Gold Member

They make cool things like this to fix the noise

Walker's Game Ear - Ultra Ear
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

All of them are not loud, some are quieter than shooting the rifle without them. and I am not talking about a silencer either. ( directing shock wave)

I can definitely call the noise legend an urban myth caused by people using noisy blow your hat off brakes and assuming they are all the same!!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

After reading this thread the biggest complaint of using a brake is noise level. This is a load of garbage and anyone shooting any firearm without some sort of hearing protection is plain crazy. Especially when it comes to the magnums. If you can honestly say that after investing a thousand to 5k on a high power firearm that another $75 dollars and some foamies to protect your hearing isn't worth it you are kidding yourself. The excuse that you may not hear game in the woods is another foolish excuse. put your I phone down quit texting and enjoy the solitude of a hunt. Put a set of foamies in your ears and some muffs on your neck and put them in place before squeasing the round off. Worst case atleast you have some foamies in. Invest in some game ears that will silence automatically that insert into your ears and you will be able to hear later in life.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
All of them are not loud, some are quieter than shooting the rifle without them. and I am not talking about a silencer either. ( directing shock wave)

I can definitely call the noise legend an urban myth caused by people using noisy blow your hat off brakes and assuming they are all the same!!!!
Would you care to elaborate or provide links for research? I am aware of some like the Gentry "quite brake", but have not heard any actually worked
on the noise side of the equation.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Muzzle masters are the ones that I use. The only link you will find is a little tiny web site under the same name and a brief article by Gentry. I have been using them for years. On quite a few of my rifles they are quiter than not using a brake. 1 reason I like them is that they are indexed and adjustable and do about the same thing as adjusting the seating depth of my bullets. I don't know of too many brakes that have a patent on them the muzzle masters do and the last time I spoke with him he has a new generation 2 brake that is even better, but I will more than likely keep using the original. They're a bit spendy but worth it to me. He instals them and all you have to do is send him the barrel with an index mark on it and he sends it back.