Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
I think what some of you guys dont realize is that SOME of us arent 1000 yard shooters. Some of us only have about 2 seconds to take the shot. I have never shot a deer PAST 200 yards here in Virginia and most of the time when I shoot the deer has already seen me by the time I am ready to shoot. I hunt from a tree stand sometimes where I am allowed to move a bit more, but I count on my sense of hearing more than my sense of sight when it comes to locating a deer. Sometimes when I hunt dense cedars I cant even see the deer coming, but I can hear the thing trampling or skipping through the woods. I do have electronic muffs I use when Im just shooting for fun, but I really dont like them for hunting because the Microphones on the headsets project TOOO much sound. Every bird and squirel sound like a bear rolling down the hills. The point I am making is that some of us dont have the luxury of hunting from our vehicles or hunting through a spotting scope from 800-1000 yards away. I hunt like everyone else around here, we get up at 4am, be in the woods an hour before sunrise, sit extremely still whether that be in a blind, stand, or simply on the ground against a hay bail, sit and be patient, LISTEN and watch, and wait some more! hahaha

But I am extremely jealous on the way some of you get to hunt out west. One day I may get the chance to come out that way and pop an elk. We dont have many of those.. (maybe 1 or 2 a year is reported around here). I just started a thread recently about buying the right muzzle brake but i have come to realize maybe I dont need one. My .300 is a hunting rifle and not a target gun. I figure ill sight that thing in once a year, shoot it (hopefully enough to fill my tags) and put her away till next season. I just dont think hunting with ear protection is a good idea for hunters like me. I TOTALLY AGREE with hearing protection when casually shooting or LONG range shooting, but for the average hunter, I would say away from hearing protection. Didnt mean to Hi-jack or cause problems. Its just my beliefs.
Are you kidding me? I am not trying to start a war but this is a long range hunting forum.....correct? I currently have one rifle with a brake on it, a 300rum that without the brake is horrible to shoot. I built a 12 pound 300wm last year that I feel I will put a brake on and possibly one of my 308s. I used to think I was tough but due to some past injuries sneaking up I will join the "sissy" crowd.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Are you kidding me? I am not trying to start a war but this is a long range hunting forum.....correct? I currently have one rifle with a brake on it, a 300rum that without the brake is horrible to shoot. I built a 12 pound 300wm last year that I feel I will put a brake on and possibly one of my 308s. I used to think I was tough but due to some past injuries sneaking up I will join the "sissy" crowd.
Exactly. One of the benefits of a break on a larger magnum is to be able to see your own bullet impact at long range, so that if you need to make adjustments you can. If you aren't shooting over 200 yards, well you probably don't need a 300 Win Mag anyways, but if you like the abuse of a 7 pound magnum in your tree stand then by all means have fun, but a 243 will do the job.

One more thing, if you don't have 2 seconds to put ear protection in, you probably shouldn't be making a "long range" shot anyways.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH107 View Post
Exactly. One of the benefits of a break on a larger magnum is to be able to see your own bullet impact at long range, so that if you need to make adjustments you can. If you aren't shooting over 200 yards, well you probably don't need a 300 Win Mag anyways, but if you like the abuse of a 7 pound magnum in your tree stand then by all means have fun, but a 243 will do the job.

One more thing, if you don't have 2 seconds to put ear protection in, you probably shouldn't be making a "long range" shot anyways.
I am guessing this is not addressing me because I stated I want a brake on my win mag and 308 win. I have a 300 yard range in my back yard, I almost always wear, at a minimum, ear plugs while shooting. I shoot a 12 pound 300 win mag. I have not killed a deer in about 5 years, and I have never been in a tree stand to hunt deer. Last but not least I like my 25-06 better then my 243. And you have my permission to call me a sissy because I like a muzzle brake, and I am a hater of wolves.

Last edited by rooster740; 02-06-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: misspelled 12
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
I am guessing this is not addressing me because I stated I want a brake on my win mag and 308 win. I have a 300 yard range in my back yard, I almost always wear, at a minimum, ear plugs while shooting. I shoot a 12 pound 300 win mag. I have not killed a deer in about 5 years, and I have never been in a tree stand to hunt deer. Last but not least I like my 25-06 better then my 243. And you have my permission to call me a sissy because I like a muzzle brake, and I am a hater of wolves.
I am agreeing with you... Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm having one put on my 12 lb. 300 Win Mag right now. I have hunted with it without, but because I want to do a better job staying on target, I'm going with a Muscle Brake.

Is it an inconvienence having to wear ear protection, yes. But the benefit of having my gun recoil more like a .243, making it much more fun to shoot and helping me watch my shots is well worth the 5 seconds to put earplugs in.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:56 PM

I want to put one on mine. And I am pretty sure breaks do not actually magnify the sound, but just redirect it. The perceived sound is louder because it is coming back at the shooter via the reflection off of the baffles instead of heading straight down range.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH107 View Post

Like I said, If you don't hunt in the Southeast you'll never get it. I don't know what you call long range, but to me, it's past 300. And while your busy wondering what you could've done different, I'll be taking pictures with my trophy.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

I have a Gentry brake on my rifle mostly because they are 45 minutes from my house. I will say it is affective in significantly reducing recoil, and not as loud to the SHOOTER as some others I have been around. It directs the gasses slightly forward, and is like i say not to much louder then no brake, but if you are not directly behind the gun it is as loud as the rest. I consider long range hunting a target past 500 yards, but that is another topic.