Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by projp View Post
After a few to many shots yesterday and a few to many years of shooting I am seriously considering a brake.
What say ye?
hell yes .... since i put one on my 700 rem , chambered for 300 wyb mag , ive put one on my 7mm-08 for my grand daughter to use . we put ear plugs in at the range and be sure to let everybody next to us know when we will be shooting a round !!! and when hunting she keeps a plug in her left ear (shes right handed ) at all times !!! for a 12 year old to shoot all morning is purty sweet !! and reduced recoil is why ....
Old 10-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Bronze Member

I have one on my blaser r93 and it is a must have for spotting hits at long range hunting. The noise is big, but I always use ear protection...
Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

The only time I have had a noise problem was on a hunt with one partner. I had a deer down, but we were having trouble finding it. I saw the bullet hit the deer, but I was a bit low and a bit too far back. That almost always means a liver shot, which is a terrible place to hit an animal for two reasons...they do not bleed out nearly as fast as a heart or lung shot, and the blood goes down into the belly of the deer and you get very little in the way of a blood trail to follow. We saw the deer run 200 yds, jump a fence and go over the edge of a hill and disappear. My partner refused to believe that I hit the animal and complained constantly that after an hour of looking, we found no blood and no deer. We split up and agreed that if one of us found the deer we would fire two quick shots. Five minutes later I found the deer, stone dead, with a bullet hole exactly where I had told my partner it would be. Had I not had a brake, I would have given up on finding the animal at the one hour mark. I was shooting a 300 win mag, and prepared to fire our signal. I held the rifle in one hand and held it as high as I could reach to keep the sound away from my ears. Well, holding it in that position somehow maximized the noise, and damn that hurt. My ears didn't ring, they really hurt. I fired the second shot from my shoulder and had no problem. But, I got my deer, my partner had punched out, and we were headed for home. I know a lot of guys do not like brakes, and that is fine...do what works for you, but I will always put a brake on a gun that has any significant recoil issues, and I will always now carry ear plugs for any signal shots I have to fire.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 AM

I got a deal on an Armalite AR-30 in 300 win mag. I thought the brake was slightly silly looking and questioned the guns accuracy initially. That being said, it turned out to have extremely mild recoil and shoots 1/2 moa with good ammunition.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Half MOA for an AR? That's excelllent for ANY gun, let alone an AR semi-auto.

As I mentioned, my Browning A-Bolt came with a muzzle brake as part of its BOSS accuracy system. Love it.

I'm going to get a muzzle brake/suppressor combo for my Rem action competition .300 Win. mag. HS Precision rifle. The brake is the attatchment point for the AAC suppressor. Of dourse this means $200. for a Federal tax stamp and an average 8 month wait. Damned bureaucracy. Then there is the stupid high cost of the suppressor.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehiker View Post
Half MOA for an AR? That's excelllent for ANY gun, let alone an AR semi-auto.

As I mentioned, my Browning A-Bolt came with a muzzle brake as part of its BOSS accuracy system. Love it.

I'm going to get a muzzle brake/suppressor combo for my Rem action competition .300 Win. mag. HS Precision rifle. The brake is the attatchment point for the AAC suppressor. Of dourse this means $200. for a Federal tax stamp and an average 8 month wait. Damned bureaucracy. Then there is the stupid high cost of the suppressor.
It is a bolt gun, I looked at buying the 338 Lapua version, but never did.
AR-30A1 .300 WM STD RIFLE FIXED STOCK

But the auto AR's can surprise you, I have a RRA Varmiter 223 that does 5 under a half inch regular as many will do & several 308 versions will do as well.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

N.sendero,

OOPS! I forgot about THAT AR. It's very nice, better than Colt's recent offering. I love chassis stocks.

No wonder you are geting such accuracy - precision chassis plus precision action and barrel.

What magazines does it use? AI or Accu Mag?