Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
Agreed. But I have never fired a shot from the prone position in my life, and probably never will. The fastest way to make yourself into a stable shooting platform is to sit.
Sometimes the fastest is not called for but the more stable might be.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 PM

I like brakes on bigger calibers. But when I get a brake done I also have a thread protector cut for it so when i'm at the range I can shoot with the brake, watch my shots and not worry about a sore shoulder. Then when im headed out for I hunt I screw the brake off and put the thread protector on.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Silver Member

That's kind of backwards. Most guys take the brake off at the range so the added noise will not bother other shooters, then put it on when hunting so they can track their shot, know where the bullet went, and where it hit the animal if it did.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

In the thought of breaks I reasently had one installed on my 300RUM. My first shot with the break was Thursday of this week. Needless to say I forgot to put in some ear plugs. I did not know what to expect so I was holding the gun tight and squeezed one off. The concussion or blast completely caught me by surprise and for about the next 15 minutes my ears were ringing. I could not even tell you if the first shot recoiled the same or a lot less due to the blast. So ears now have stopped ringing and I get back on the bench with ear plugs. (I was not a range). Out west in the desert of Utah....Back on the bench I squeezed another round off.... WOW....WOW!!!!!! I could almost not believe it . I think I jumped out of my bench and danced around before thinking about loading another round. Slow,,slow squeeze trigger breaks and all I could think was WOW....I grabbed my 6.5 and pulled of a shot and had to shoot both a could of time to see which kicked more. They are now pretty much the same. The 300RUM is a sendero so it has some more weight but now it's no different than shooting my 6.5x284. I can not say enough about how well this break works. I'm shooting a 210 berger at about 3050FPS. Before I did not like shooting this rifle more than about 10 time in one outing and now I think I shot it 20 time with out thinking twice about how my shoulder felt. So the break was done by...Steve Pratt at ELK Meadow Performance down in Spring Lake Utah. Really nice guy and the turn-around time was great. Not sure how many projects he had going on but my rifle was done in a week. He worked the trigger over, and bedded the stock as well. The breaks are titanium so they add almost no weight to the rifle but they definitely work great. Its an angle break with ports on top to keep the barrel down due to muzzle jump. I'm really pleased with the effectiveness of the break. My wife is a little recoil sensitive but I may have her try it now since its kick like my 6.5.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachsmann View Post
So the break was done by...Steve Pratt at ELK Meadow Performance down in Spring Lake Utah. Really nice guy and the turn-around time was great. Not sure how many projects he had going on but my rifle was done in a week. He worked the trigger over, and bedded the stock as well. The breaks are titanium so they add almost no weight to the rifle but they definitely work great. Its an angle break with ports on top to keep the barrel down due to muzzle jump. I'm really pleased with the effectiveness of the break. My wife is a little recoil sensitive but I may have her try it now since its kick like my 6.5.
I also have an Elk Meadow brake on my 300WM and agree that it is a superb design. I have had mine about a year and having shot a few hundred rounds through it also find it as pleasent to shoot as my 6.5x284. I never sent my rifle out to have the brake installed. My 300WM Milspec was threaded with a cap. I gave Steve the muzzle OD of my rifle and he turned both the muzzle brake and peel washers to match the contour of my barrel. I was able to perfectly index the brake, it looks great, and the peel washers are barely noticable. The index holds perfectly when removing/reinstalling the brake. If you hve a threaded barrel and the inconvienence of sending your rifle out is holding anyone back, this is a good alternative. Total cost was under $200.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Last edited by Greyfox; 09-23-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
That's kind of backwards. Most guys take the brake off at the range so the added noise will not bother other shooters, then put it on when hunting so they can track their shot, know where the bullet went, and where it hit the animal if it did.
Yeah it is a little backwards. 95% of the time there is no one else at the range when I'm shooting, or I just go out in the hills and set up my own range. (Which a lot of people do around here) so it's not going effect other shooters very often. I guess I'm a lucky one with our range.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 AM

After reading some of the post about muzzle breaks here is my thoughts. After 4 re-constructive surgeries on my right shoulder from injuries sustained in the military I run breaks on everything long gun I own. I recently bought a Savage 10 in .223 and put a nice brake on it as well. Yes it makes it louder for those around me but hey thats what ear plugs are for. Two it sure makes it easier watching your shots and 3 it does'nt hurt the old bones as bad.
So if there is any debate on the pro's and con's, I would say there are more pro's than con's on this one. But again, to each their own.

Stay of the rigdes and keep your powder dry.... Pat

That's not my target! Mines way over there on that hill...
GMC(sw) Retired.