Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

A Mark V should have come with a factory brake on it. Mine did. Other than that, I have only used the Vais and the Benchmark brakes. The Vais is quieter, but the Benchmark is more effective. I am more concerned about the reduction of recoil, so I have switched to the Benchmark. In fact, I have a rifle in their shop right now getting one put on. They have built a solid reputation very fast due to their superior workmanship, so if you go with the Benchmark, you will have to wait a while to get your rifle back. My last one took three months. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM

my mark v is from the first run of jap wby's, before anyone but a select few was thinking about brakes, much less putting them on at the factory, so this is strictly an afterthought kind of instillation approach. thank you for the recommendation.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminjames View Post
I am currently looking for the right brake for my wby .300 mark v. And please do yourself a favor and use hearing protection, always. I lost the upper 1/3 of mine permanently in viet-nam, and it never comes back.
Best overall brake I've ever shot is the one made by Snowy Mountain Rifles. You won't be disappointed.

Muzzle Brakes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Thanks to Wild Rose for the recommendation (although I am not an official participant in this thread, but it is always good to read new advice) on the Snowy Mountain Rifle brake. Maybe I will give theirs a try next time I need one, even though I have been happy with the Benchmarks.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

I looked up the Snowy Mountain Rifle brake and studied the picture. It appears to be a hybrid of the original Vais and a number of other brakes. It looks like it would work very well, but there was one thing (based on one picture only)that I would question. The large side ports appear to vent straight out, as opposed to the Benchmark vents which angle slightly backward. I suspect that the Benchmark is slightly more effective, but the Snowy Mountain would be slightly quieter to the shooter. Overall performance would probably be very comparable. Again, that is just my observation based on looking at one picture. As usual, if it works for you, keep doing it. No personal offense meant to you, Wild Rose for your opinion. You post a lot of good stuff which I have appreciated.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM

I have the 9/16x24 die so I will be threading and installing the brake myself. I agree with old teacher on the orientation of the large side slots on the brake in question. actually some forward orientation, perhaps 7 degrees or so, would help with the noise and scope blast factor. I would probably give up some recoil relief, but I think the trade off would be worth it for me. I am still looking at brakes, but sadly not much in the way of tech info on most I have seen so far.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamminjames View Post
I have the 9/16x24 die so I will be threading and installing the brake myself. I agree with old teacher on the orientation of the large side slots on the brake in question. actually some forward orientation, perhaps 7 degrees or so, would help with the noise and scope blast factor. I would probably give up some recoil relief, but I think the trade off would be worth it for me. I am still looking at brakes, but sadly not much in the way of tech info on most I have seen so far.
James you do not want to attempt to thread your own barrel with a standard tap and die set. You cannot get it concentric to the center of the bore with them and could very easily end up with some serious issues such as the bullet actually hitting it.

Watch this video and it'll give you a good idea what all is actually involved in proper brake installation.

You'll find it's no where as simple as one would think.

Teacher is correct. There is a lot less of a noise issue with the SM brake than many others. An even better one for noise issues is the Shrewd Varmint brake available from Brownell's and I think Midway carries them as well.

I have one on my .260 and it's pretty damned neat. The ports o it do actually angle slightly forward at around 7 deg. No the recoil reduction is not as great with it, but I really like it especially on a rifle that I have to just grab and shoot quickly since if anything it's not as loud with the brake on as with it off.

Kirby's muscle brake I believe has a slight forward angle on it's rear ports. You can go to his site and check it out.