Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Wild Rose: I was just pondering the statement you place at the end of your posts, and the number of people, even a lot of gun people, who do not know how true that is. Number one, the anti's usually interpret the 2nd amendment as being relevant to our military forces only, but if you look it up in a GOOD dictionary, it states that a militia is a group of armed citizens SEPARATE from the professional military. Also, the framers of the bill of rights, primarily, James Madison but certainly driven by Thomas Jefferson, did not include the second amendment only so that ordinary citizens could protect their homes and families from intruders. Jefferson was intelligent (there is the understatement of the last four centuries)enough to realize that if not controlled, any government will become too powerful and eventually infringe, one by one, on the rights of its citizens, and those citizens have the right to protect themselves not only from home invaders, but from the federal government. That is how this country came into being in the first place. I am certainly not trying to advocate the overthrow of our federal government, but I do believe in the domino effect...eliminate one right, and someone will take aim at another, and slowly the Bill of Rights, although it may still exist, will be so watered down as to be irrelevant. Anyone who believes that the federal government would not like to restrict freedom of the press is hiding in a dark place. I am not a crackpot...if you do not agree with me, just listen to what politicians are saying, and take a good look at what happened to gun rights in Australia.

I am reminded of a quote from John Kennedy, and although I may be off a word or two, I will put it in quotations marks. At a formal Whitehouse dinner to which he had invited most of the truly intelligent men of the world, his opened his remarks by saying, "Never have so many geniuses gathered in one place for dinner since Thomas Jefferson dined alone." And (and this is me speaking, not Kennedy) never in the history of the world have so many geniuses come together at the same time in the same place in a common cause as the framers of our constitution. The second amendment was not added to the constitution by accident, folks.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Yup, don't think i'd shoot a rifle without one.
I have Vais Brakes on 3 of my guns, kinda wish I woulda gone with a muscle or edge brake though... the Vais will blow dirt all over ya.

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
Wild Rose: I was just pondering the statement you place at the end of your posts, and the number of people, even a lot of gun people, who do not know how true that is. Number one, the anti's usually interpret the 2nd amendment as being relevant to our military forces only, but if you look it up in a GOOD dictionary, it states that a militia is a group of armed citizens SEPARATE from the professional military. Also, the framers of the bill of rights, primarily, James Madison but certainly driven by Thomas Jefferson, did not include the second amendment only so that ordinary citizens could protect their homes and families from intruders. Jefferson was intelligent (there is the understatement of the last four centuries)enough to realize that if not controlled, any government will become too powerful and eventually infringe, one by one, on the rights of its citizens, and those citizens have the right to protect themselves not only from home invaders, but from the federal government. That is how this country came into being in the first place. I am certainly not trying to advocate the overthrow of our federal government, but I do believe in the domino effect...eliminate one right, and someone will take aim at another, and slowly the Bill of Rights, although it may still exist, will be so watered down as to be irrelevant. Anyone who believes that the federal government would not like to restrict freedom of the press is hiding in a dark place. I am not a crackpot...if you do not agree with me, just listen to what politicians are saying, and take a good look at what happened to gun rights in Australia.

I am reminded of a quote from John Kennedy, and although I may be off a word or two, I will put it in quotations marks. At a formal Whitehouse dinner to which he had invited most of the truly intelligent men of the world, his opened his remarks by saying, "Never have so many geniuses gathered in one place for dinner since Thomas Jefferson dined alone." And (and this is me speaking, not Kennedy) never in the history of the world have so many geniuses come together at the same time in the same place in a common cause as the framers of our constitution. The second amendment was not added to the constitution by accident, folks.
I spent a lot of time researching the BOR for my own purposes years ago and for some papers I did in college.

What many people miss is the simplicity of the language of the 2nd.

"The militia" as defined by the author of the 2nd George Mason is every man capable of bearing arms in defense.

The ability to raise a militia in times of need is 100% dependent upon having an armed populous, and those people having the arms necessary to mount a credible defense of their homes, families, communities, an states if needed.

From a military standpoint they counted on the militia being able to be raised and respond to any threat in a timely fashion and to be able to fight a delaying action if nothing else while the guard, reserves, and active duty federal forces could be moved into the area in support or to take over.

From their own words, it's absolutely an "individual right" as our last means of defense from tyrants no matter where that tyranny comes from.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter42 View Post
aww come on wildrose lets talk about wildcats, The 6.5/300wm has kinda peeked my imagination. I also have a friend that is trying to develop a load for the 257stw, talk about overbored!
I have a 6.5-300wm that I built last year. I shot a deer at 1006yds with it in Oct. too.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
I have a 6.5-300wm that I built last year. I shot a deer at 1006yds with it in Oct. too.
I sure wish you guys would quit talking about the 6.5x300wm and 6.5STW.

It's making me want to spend way too much money.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Wild Rose: my .257 STW is my second favorite rifle, extraordinarily versatile, and inherently accurate. It's a "must" for any collection. Get to work!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM

I am currently looking for the right brake for my wby .300 mark v. And please do yourself a favor and use hearing protection, always. I lost the upper 1/3 of mine permanently in viet-nam, and it never comes back.