Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Toddc: I wish you had not mentioned a 270-338 mag. I have 55 rifles, and not a 270 of any kind in the bunch, except for the 6.8 spc, which, after firing it should be named 6.8 ngu (no good use). Now you put an idea in my head that is going to cost me a minimum of $3000. Hopefully I can wait for your results to be posted and something will deter me.

Wild Rose: I really do not notice an increase in noise if I take a muzzle brake off since the gases and therefore the noise are vented away from the muzzle. Some of it is vented back, but a good brake avoids most of that. The guys that suffer are the guys next to you at the range. But as I posted once before, the only complaints I have ever gotten at the range involves the dirt and sand from other shooters leaking bags that my brakes blow into the adjoining shooters faces and guns. That is why I always arrive early and clean the benches around me with a brush and a can of compressed air. Since I have been doing that, I have had no complaints about anything. Good shooters come to the range prepared, and that means good eye and ear protection. More and more folks have brakes, and nearly everyone just expects to find them at any range, and they have really become a non-issue to 95%+ of shooters. Unfortunately there occasionally is a guy who just likes to complain, make a big issue out of anything, likes to be confrontational, and usually leaves after irritating everyone else who is being considerate and congenial and just having a good time shooting their guns. They are usually the same guys who are shooting 6" groups and are looking for anything or anybody to blame it on besides their own poor equipment, lack of ability, and lack of knowledge of bullets, powders, brass, primers, and everything else that can affect good shooting. I have, unfortunately, been at the range a couple of times when the other shooters have run out of patience and just told some guy to go home. But those people are few and far between. I won't shoot at a range that is a hot line. What good does it do to shoot groups at 300 yards plus, when you cannot get your targets and measure your groups? So the range where I do shoot, we all have to cooperate and wait for a sort of natural break in the action to ask in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear, "OK to go down?" Then we all put down our guns , open the actions, and walk down to our targets to repair or replace them, exchanging ideas and information all the way there and back. Isn't it amazing how well things go when everyone is patient and just cooperates a little?

Now that I have spoken that piece, does anyone else have anything they would like to tell us about their wildcat rifles?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
Toddc: I wish you had not mentioned a 270-338 mag. I have 55 rifles, and not a 270 of any kind in the bunch, except for the 6.8 spc, which, after firing it should be named 6.8 ngu (no good use). Now you put an idea in my head that is going to cost me a minimum of $3000. Hopefully I can wait for your results to be posted and something will deter me.

Wild Rose: I really do not notice an increase in noise if I take a muzzle brake off since the gases and therefore the noise are vented away from the muzzle. Some of it is vented back, but a good brake avoids most of that. The guys that suffer are the guys next to you at the range. But as I posted once before, the only complaints I have ever gotten at the range involves the dirt and sand from other shooters leaking bags that my brakes blow into the adjoining shooters faces and guns. That is why I always arrive early and clean the benches around me with a brush and a can of compressed air. Since I have been doing that, I have had no complaints about anything. Good shooters come to the range prepared, and that means good eye and ear protection. More and more folks have brakes, and nearly everyone just expects to find them at any range, and they have really become a non-issue to 95%+ of shooters. Unfortunately there occasionally is a guy who just likes to complain, make a big issue out of anything, likes to be confrontational, and usually leaves after irritating everyone else who is being considerate and congenial and just having a good time shooting their guns. They are usually the same guys who are shooting 6" groups and are looking for anything or anybody to blame it on besides their own poor equipment, lack of ability, and lack of knowledge of bullets, powders, brass, primers, and everything else that can affect good shooting. I have, unfortunately, been at the range a couple of times when the other shooters have run out of patience and just told some guy to go home. But those people are few and far between. I won't shoot at a range that is a hot line. What good does it do to shoot groups at 300 yards plus, when you cannot get your targets and measure your groups? So the range where I do shoot, we all have to cooperate and wait for a sort of natural break in the action to ask in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear, "OK to go down?" Then we all put down our guns , open the actions, and walk down to our targets to repair or replace them, exchanging ideas and information all the way there and back. Isn't it amazing how well things go when everyone is patient and just cooperates a little?

Now that I have spoken that piece, does anyone else have anything they would like to tell us about their wildcat rifles?
Tech you missed my point.

I wasn't talking about letting them compare the noise I was talking about letting them compare the felt recoil.

Let them shoot it braked, then remove the brake. They will then understand how much more pleasant and enjoyable the brake is when you can actually follow your trace and see the impacts, not to mention how valuable it is on correcting for follow ups and no matter how good any of us think or say we are, we will miss a substantial number of those first shot opportunities in the field at LR because unlike shooting off of a nice comfy bench at the range actual hunting conditions frequently throw unaccounted for variables and unknowns into the equation.

BTW I've shot some brake that will absolutely make your ears bleed and you can feel the blast pressure against your eyes. Thankfully however that tech has come a million miles forward in relatively few years since I shot my first braked rifles.

Except for the dust storms they can kick up shooting prone I absolutely love the Gentry Quiet brake. I swear my Rum is quieter with it on than without it.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Wild Rose: Thanks for the correction. You don't have to convince me on the value of brakes. As I have posted at length several times, I am a brake man all the way. I even have a brake on my little 25-06. The only two styles of brakes I have are Vais and Benchmark. I would recommend either, and neither increases the noise heard by the shooter. The only other point I will repeat and emphasize is that if you use brakes, you need to be aware of the needs and comfort of the shooters next to you.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Personally, I think we have beaten the issue of muzzle brakes to death, and no one is likely to change their minds at this point. I suggest we leave it behind and move on to a new topic where at least some of us may learn something new. May I make a suggestion? I love wildcats, and perhaps we could discuss everyone's favorite long range wildcats, loads, experiences, etc. Or not, if everyone still wants to thump away on brakes.
+1 lets please talk about something else, been following this post for months now, the issue is beat to death. I would love to talk about wildcats, as Im building a 6.5 WSM and yes it does have a break!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wild Rose: Thanks for the correction. You don't have to convince me on the value of brakes. As I have posted at length several times, I am a brake man all the way. I even have a brake on my little 25-06. The only two styles of brakes I have are Vais and Benchmark. I would recommend either, and neither increases the noise heard by the shooter. The only other point I will repeat and emphasize is that if you use brakes, you need to be aware of the needs and comfort of the shooters next to you.
I haven't shot on public ranges in literally decades but when I did and I was going to shoot a rifle with a brake I always let everyone know I was going to be shooting a braked magnum and that they needed to be sure and have ear protection on.

Hunting it's just not an issue. If I have anyone with me at all they'll be behind me if I'm shooting or vice versa.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter42 View Post
+1 lets please talk about something else, been following this post for months now, the issue is beat to death. I would love to talk about wildcats, as Im building a 6.5 WSM and yes it does have a break!
Personally I try and run from such discussions as they get me to thinking about building either a 6.5 STW or 6.5x300wm... .
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

aww come on wildrose lets talk about wildcats, The 6.5/300wm has kinda peeked my imagination. I also have a friend that is trying to develop a load for the 257stw, talk about overbored!