Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 PM

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

I tell a guy to do what works best for him and people blow it out of the water...but saying that every shooter and hunter should have a muzzle brake on their rifle i don't know. A person should use what works best for him or her. And to the one that says everyone that I've guided must have been all good shots the answer is no they weren't some good and some not so good. And to say that if you don't have a brake on that your just going to wound a bunch of game is just not so. Like i say just shoot what works best for you not what works best for everyone else. If its a brake or not..
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper ron View Post
I tell a guy to do what works best for him and people blow it out of the water...but saying that every shooter and hunter should have a muzzle brake on their rifle i don't know. A person should use what works best for him or her. And to the one that says everyone that I've guided must have been all good shots the answer is no they weren't some good and some not so good. And to say that if you don't have a brake on that your just going to wound a bunch of game is just not so. Like i say just shoot what works best for you not what works best for everyone else. If its a brake or not..
I agree that we should do what works best for us. But a fact is this...anyone will more accurately shoot a rifle with 1/2 the recoil better. END OF STORY. I dont care how tuff we are...its recoil speed and energy and how your body reacts to it on average that will cause this. It is much less important on a 223 than a 338 but even a 223 will show differences.
A lot of this is LRH specific. More powder,lead,recoil. More NEED to see an impact(or miss). 2nd round capability etc are really LRH things and not so much at 100 yds.
Yes you will wound more animals on AVERAGE at LR without a brake for the aforementioned reasons and 10 others. And it does seem hard to beleive but these are the kind of things that matter with a LR shot that might not matter as much at 300-400 yds.
Best of luck to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
TOMMORROW IS THE 1 DAY OF THE YEAR A BRAKE SUCKS! hANGOVER+338=ANEURISM
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

I'll put a brake on a 22LR if it will keep the gun still. I wear double hearing protection when I'm at the range. When I hunt I wear electronic ear muffs. I like my hearing and I like my rifle to sit still. I shoot with a brake and I protect my ears. My rifles don't even kick hard without a brake. The first time I shot a rifle that was equipped with a brake I was hooked.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

Toddc: I am not sure whether you were calling me a wimp re: my post about the doe, or if you were agreeing with me. Your scatological style of writing in most of your posts makes understanding your points difficult. I do not mean that as an insult, just an observation from an old writing teacher. If the fact that I do not enjoy having my rifles beat the bejeebers out of me makes me a wimp, then so be it. As always, if it works for you , keep doing it.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Personally, I think we have beaten the issue of muzzle brakes to death, and no one is likely to change their minds at this point. I suggest we leave it behind and move on to a new topic where at least some of us may learn something new. May I make a suggestion? I love wildcats, and perhaps we could discuss everyone's favorite long range wildcats, loads, experiences, etc. Or not, if everyone still wants to thump away on brakes.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
Personally, I think we have beaten the issue of muzzle brakes to death, and no one is likely to change their minds at this point. I suggest we leave it behind and move on to a new topic where at least some of us may learn something new. May I make a suggestion? I love wildcats, and perhaps we could discuss everyone's favorite long range wildcats, loads, experiences, etc. Or not, if everyone still wants to thump away on brakes.
Read my sig line.LOL. How bout a 20mm necked down to 7mm. Its my newest stupid cartridge for newbs wanting the hottest new thing. I wonder if powder bridging will be an issue?
Naw seriously my hot new love affair is a 270-338 ultra. That new berger 170 is calling our names. It and the 195 7mm are gonna keep gunsmiths busy with fast twist 270s and 7mms for quite a while I figure.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
There's actually a good way to change people's minds about muzzle brakes.

Let them shoot a given rifle with a quality brake on it.

Let them then shoot the same rifle with the bake removed.

Brakes don't have to give you a concussion to work well. There are a number of highly effective brakes on the market which are easy on the ears and still reduce recoil dramatically.

I personally see no sense in shooting anything I can't enjoy.