Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
Exactly the point I was trying to make in my lengthy post. If you see the bullet impact, the chances of recovering a wounded animal rise dramatically. You at least have enough information to make an educated estimate of how far the animal will most likely go before dying or at least lying down. If you are a dedicated, hunt every year from opener to closer, sometime in your hunting career, a brake will save you a trophy that otherwise would be lost. The story I posted above about the doe I shot is exactly a case in point. It was not a trophy, obviously, but an animal that had to be found and not wasted.
The ability to stay on target until the bullet impacts also allows you to very quickly correct for a follow up shot if you miss. When shooting at 600yds plus you are going to have misses and need to make rapid corrections.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Excellent and very valid point, Wild Rose.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM

No brakes on my 300 or any of my guns. Just go to a heaver gun all my guns weigh a few pounds and when fired they feel like a 223 and yes i hunt with them.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

OK. If it works for you, keep doing it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 PM

You are going to get a hundred deferent answers. I made a living hunting and always got asked what i thought was the best caliber was or gun to hunt with the best is one that you are comfortable shooting. Not the biggest you can pull the trigger on. If your 300thoughts is getting to be a little to much drop down. I've seen some amazing shoots done with 270 30-06 and 308 s. A smaller cal doesn't make less of a man. Save your hearing.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 AM
Silver Member

This question to me is identical to the following: Should I have a 280lb lumberjack punch me or an 8 yr old girl tickle me. You can answer that how you want.
If you dont get one consider this.
Why is anyone shooting without one? Money? Noisy? Too macho(LMAO)?
Those are the best reasons someone will come up with to not have one.(Which will all be explained when you find out grampa didnt like em either)
Money.....have ya got $200?
Noisy?....Are you actually dumb enuf to shoot without protection anyway? REALLY?
TOO MACHO? ...Ok now we have found the REal issue..Oh and grampa didnt need one.
Reality is this:
You will shoot better.
You will shoot more.
You will get back on target to spot the shot or send a 2nd much faster.Or kill multiples.
Your gun will ride bags or a pod better.
You will quit flinching(If you currently dont you wont start)
You will enjoy shooting more(that MIGHT make you a better shot)
Your gun will be more accurate(if you can hold a certain MOA with a hard kicker then you will control a light kicker even better)
If your gun kicks less it will stay sighted in easier(as long as scope holds)(yes brakes are supposedly harder on glass but I have had more bedding issues with big kickers than scopes on light kickers)
However....some people will evidently say you are a wimp and dont need something thier grandfather didnt have....tell them to go steal MIKE TYSONS tiger and throw thier nightforce and ballistics app away. That way theyll get slugged real hard and miss a lot of shots. Makes sense.
To fix the two issues everyone brings up get used to wearing electronic muffs around your neck at all times and go beat Mike Tyson up so that everyone wont think you are a wimp.
And if you worry about dust get a brake without bottom holes.
While your at it look at my sig line.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
Exactly the point I was trying to make in my lengthy post. If you see the bullet impact, the chances of recovering a wounded animal rise dramatically. You at least have enough information to make an educated estimate of how far the animal will most likely go before dying or at least lying down. If you are a dedicated, hunt every year from opener to closer, sometime in your hunting career, a brake will save you a trophy that otherwise would be lost. The story I posted above about the doe I shot is exactly a case in point. It was not a trophy, obviously, but an animal that had to be found and not wasted.
Yeah right Im sure its so you can see impacts when we all KNOW that only wimps use them. Youre just makin exzcuses. My grampa didnt need one so they must be the devil bla bla bla bla. Great post old teacher. My gunstore guy hates brakes too. His goto guns? A 6-47 and a 338 yogi(weighs 60+lbs). So one that cant kick due to cartidge size and one due to weight. Id shoot a 7mm stw and a 13lb yogi and call it good BUT.......I am a wimp I even put it in my signature line.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.