Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

I guess I am the only one that hates muzzle brakes!

I have one for my Sako TRG (260 and 308) and find the noise obnoxious. I haven't used my brake in over a year. I find the suppressor a MUCH better option (and I still wear hearing protection). If I don't shoot suppressed, I leave the brake off my gun and suffer with the recoil. Granted, I am not shooting a magnum caliber. However, I do shoot 200gr bullets out of my 308 at 2500+fps.

At a recent comp, I had my muffs off for just a second to put plugs under my muffs (because of all the darn brakes). I was 10 feet from a shooter firing a 260 with a brake and got surprised by him firing with my ears off! My ears were literally ringing the rest of the day! I would never hunt with a brake and no ears. You risk serious hearing damage for sure!

At the recent long range competition, we had a stage that required shooting off your partner for support. One team was firing a shorter barreled (18-20") 308 with a brake. The guy was using his buddies shoulder for support with the brake literally inches from his partners face. The support man was only wearing basic ear plugs! I bet that guys ears are still ringing!

To each his own... I'll take my pppffffftttt!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToKeepAndBear View Post
At the recent long range competition, we had a stage that required shooting off your partner for support. One team was firing a shorter barreled (18-20") 308 with a brake. The guy was using his buddies shoulder for support with the brake literally inches from his partners face. The support man was only wearing basic ear plugs! I bet that guys ears are still ringing!
With or without a brake or with the best ear and eye protection, that's just asking for it.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Here's another vote for the hate brakes. My gun club restricts brakes to the first few benches on the right side of the field. When it is not busy, it is okey for the brake users to spread out, but if it is an busy range and a brake user is beside me, I have the right to ask the shooter to stop shooting.

I shoot my 300 mags and 7 RM without a brake and yes they can get tiring after 15 rounds. I happen to be kind of tall and enjoy a longer length of pull. My solution has been to leave the factory recoil pad on the rifle and then add a slip-on Limb Saver over that. Now I can shoot them all day with no issues at all.

I believe people have the right to use a brake if they want to, but just like smoking, you don't have the right to harm someone else's health with one.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

I have no argument with that. That is why, as I posted earlier, I always checked with other shooters at the range where I used to shoot before I got shut out with their new membership rules as I described in my last post. I never had anyone complain about the noise from my brakes, but I did have a couple of fellow shooters mention that my brakes were blowing sand from previous shooters leaking bags into their faces. After that I always made sure that I was the first guy there, and I cleaned all the benches close to me so that would not happen. I never had a complaint after that. Just a little consideration and cooperation solves a lot of issues before they ever get started. Just one more short argument pro brakes. I bought a Remington model seven custom with a Mannlicher stock in .308. Beautiful little rifle, but short barreled and light, and with the full length stock, impossible to put a brake on. That little rifle had the most vicious and wicked recoil of any rifle I own(ed). I finally sold it because I could not stand to shoot it. It not only kicked backwards, but it jumped at least a foot off the bags when fired. I hated to see it go, but had no use for it. I just can't deal with recoil, and brakes are my answer. But you absolutely do have to be sensitive to the needs of fellow shooters.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Last week a deer came out on me too fast to put my ear plugs in and I shot without them. Couldn't hear jack for over 24 hours. Kinda wishing I didn't have it on there now.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Bronze Member

I shot at an elk this year with my .300 win. I did not notice that it was any louder with the muzzle brake than my .270 is without the muzzle brake. My .300 is a lot louder if you are standing off to the side of it but I can't tell that it is any louder to the person shooting it.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:08 AM

What muzzle brake were you using?

My 26 inch 300 WM, the side vent brake is more effective at felt recoil reduction but I will never intentionaly shoot it again without ear protection.

My 24 inch 300 WM, the Vais break is not too bad if I forget to protect the ears, but felt recoil is worse.

I don't think a 2" shorter barrel would make that much difference between the 2 styles of brakes.