Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 AM

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

I have one on My .300 Rem mag and I like it. I'm tweaking out my long range gun and the brake allows me to concentrate more on my shots than recoil. You can't go wrong with a GOOD quality brake.

A democracy ceases to exist when a government takes from those willing to work and gives to them who are not.

"Thomas Jefferson"
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazarmaveth View Post
Suppressors for the win.
Boy that's a fact if we didn't have such an ignorant public to deal with!! I used to be against a muzzle brake because of the noise. Wear a good pair of muffs with GEL instead of foam on the muff to head connection. I have silenco magnums and they work perfectly on an 8 mag with a hollands quick discharge brake. No way I will ever own another radial brake because it kicks dust in your face for prone shooting. Long range shooting has a huge subconscious mental aspect to it. If you're getting kicked, you're not shooting to your finest ability IMO. Fact is that shooting ANY weapon without hearing protection is foolish...not just braked guns....ALL GUNS. Ear pro is so easy to use before you take the shot. The hardest and most violent kicking gun I ever owned was a wby vanguard in .300 wby....flat clobbered me that gun did. I'd brake a .300 win mag in a second. .270 and below not such a huge issue, but anything .30 and up would have a brake on it unless it were a slow mover ie 45-70.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

I am going to put a break on my savage FCP this winter so that I can enjoy shooting more and getting better, I'm going to try a smith that lives close to me... >>> (http://claryscomps.com/)
He seems to have a good reputation here..
Old 10-29-2012, 03:19 AM

Only opinion that matters is yours. Put the brake on and run with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Got one on my rifle. Well worth it and I don't use hearing protection when hunting. It is louder but, your accuracy will increase greatly especially out at larger ranges. If you feel that much kick from your round, you may even want to look at a better butt pad for your rifle. I shoot really hot rounds, but my Accumark came with a very good quality but pad and with my brake off, I didn't notice an extreme amount of kick more than with the brake.

The net effect, is you rifle will remain more stable why the gases expand and leave the barrel and on subsequent shots, you won't be anticipating the shot because of the kick.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM

I have shot 300 WM with both Vais & DE side vent muzzle breaks. Here is what I have found.
1) Felt recoil is less with the DE side vent break than with a Vais break
2) It is not only the increased noise but all the pressure wave that punishes the ears.
a) DE SV break is ~ 2-300% louder & the felt pressure wave is punishing compared to shooting without muzzle break. Don't ever shoot a large side vent break without hearing protection unless you are already deaf.
b) Vais is only ~ 30-50% louder with a felt pressure wave ~100% more than a shot without muzzle break.
3) Actually hunting, I don't notice any significant difference in recoil with or without muzzle break, but noise & pressure wave are significant with DE side vent much greater than Vais muzzle break which is marginally increased over shooting without break

Make sure you get a removable muzzle break with thread protector caps, then when in the field you can shoot without the muzzle break & have less risk of permanent hearing damage if you forget or don't have time to put on hearing protection.

Last edited by hunterforlife; 11-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

The question is not whether or not to put a brake on anything, but rather, will a brake make me shoot better. And the answer for me is definitely yes...and not a little bit. I put brakes on everything, even my 25-06-AI. I do not like recoil, and with a brake, I am comfortable, less tense, and can settle down and keep my eyes open when I shoot. A good brake will allow even a 300 win mag (I have 3) to shoot so softly that you can see the bullet hit the target through the scope (if you have a scope that goes to 12 or higher.) I shot a deer once and placed the bullet right behind the last rib and low. It ran off like it wasn't touched. I saw the bullet hit the deer and I knew exactly where I hit it. My partner was about to desert me when we finally found the deer, only about 75 yards away, shot right through the liver. Without the brake, I would not have known that I hit the deer in a vital spot, and I would have given up and left a dead deer to rot. One of the greatest benefits of a brake is when you have a son or daughter who has reached hunting age, and you need to buy a rifle. A lot of people automatically go to a .243, a cartridge that I personally think should not be legal for deer. m(And I know I will get a ton of flak for that statement.) But, if you are willing to put a brake on your kid's rifle, you can buy at least a 308, have a rifle that shoots softer than the 243 by far, and won't have to be replaced the next year when junior wants a more powerful gun.
Regarding the range issue, yes, it can irritate other shooters. But I always warn other shooters near me and I visually check to make sure they have their "ears on" before I shoot. The only complaint I have ever had is that the brake blows sand back into other stalls from the cheap sand bags some people use. I always try to get to the range early and brush off all the tables so the sand is not an issue. I have not had a complaint since. And the bottom line is, why put up with being beaten to death by recoil; when there is a viable, reasonably priced option?