Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?
Yes: I like it. 491 40.44%
No: I am not a wimp. 183 15.07%
No: But I am seriously thinking of one. 540 44.48%
Voters: 1214. This poll is closed

Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

I do not feel that the angle of the ports or whether it has a radial appearance has much to do with the noise concern. From what I have seen it is an issue of directing the shock wave forward. I had the opportunity to help put in a logging road that was above some homes. The man that set the charges to blast the side of the hill set the charges so that the rocks would be blown away from the homes instead of on them. I am pretty sure that the better brakes take advantage of the same principle. Also keep in mind that Muzzle Brakes are not silencers and that if they fell into the silencer category they would be very highly regulated by law. If they had an actual muffler effect then proper permits and the such would be required on them but directing the shock wave forward is legal.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

I am also going to say Physics is physics, it will allow us to play with it but will not allow us to break its rules. The shorter a barrel the better a brake works the shorter a barrel the noisier it gets. The heavier the bullet for a cartridge the less the powder charge is and less recoil for rifle weight.

If a person wants the absolute most recoil reduction possible I will still recommend the older WW I and WWII designs, physics said " no more" a century ago
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
The heavier the bullet for a cartridge the less the powder charge is and less recoil for rifle weight.
This isn't true. The heavier the bullet the more the recoil and a brake wont change that. That's physics. The higher the case capacity for a given bore size the the better a brake works and the smaller a bore is the better it works. They work by redirecting the gases so the more gas the better they work.

I haven't tested the shorter barrel theory but it might have more to do with the weight of the rifle with a shorter barrel rather than the brake being more effective. I'm a long barrel heavy rifle guy because I want the most accuracy I can get.

The direction of the ports does effect the recoil reduction and the noise. The shell hammer design used on the military 50 BMG's for years and years has ports that angle back heavily. It's not because they are quieter.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

That is absolutely 100% guaranteed incorrect. For recoil energy both bullet and gunpowder velocities are squared while their weight is multiplied not the other way around.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

I agree with idahoctd. You would have to drop the powder charge considerably to get a heavier bullet to recoil less than a light one. Go to jbm ballistics and play with their recoil calculator.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Silver Member

I disagree, go to Physics. the one thing that many are over looking for recoil is "time" getting part of a story really isn't much of a story at all! Pretty much the same thing as putting a cotton ball over a very slow leak on your air compressor or releasing a lot of air all at once in front of a dusting gun. Obviously the cotton ball will not move with the slow leak and fly across the shop when the volume of air is released in a fraction of the time - Kind of like a 350 cubic inch car Engine is always 350 cubic inches no matter what the compression ratio and the obvious charge density for Energy output. Take the time to build your own recoil sleds play with different designs of sleds and see if you disagree with the actual physics behind "FELT "recoil. It is extremely fun when when you start asking "what is actually going on here" - Do not let it fly over the top of your head with popular urban myth but what the heck he said she said!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

Here is the physics:
The Physics of Everyday Stuff - Gun Recoil

As it says in the link primary recoil cannot be changed unless the weight of the gun changes, bullet weight changes, or muzzle velocity changes. As the bullet weight goes up so does the primary recoil. Secondary recoil can be altered by a brake but as mentioned it it caused by the gases as they leave the muzzle. Heavier bullet = lower powder charge = less gases. Because a muzzle brake redirects gases to work if you have less gases you have less to work with. That's why as the case capacity goes up for a given bore size so does the effectiveness of a brake.

I had physics in college too.