Re: "Must read topic on Benchrest "
For my 2 cents worth.
Over the years we have educated hard nosed "short range hunters" to our style of hunting. It took a lot but, once they saw it done, it was a different story to them.
The problem with most hunters who shoot at the 50 100 & 200 yard ranges (and always have) is;
1. They really don't know what their rifles are capable of.
2. They have never been around LR hunters to understand the ballistics and practice it takes to do it correctly.
3. Some just want to hunt 3 to 5 days a year and go back home and sit in front of their fireplaces.
4. Most would not spend the money it takes to LR hunt correctly and with the equipment needed to do so. Maybe I should say, their wives would not LET THEM spend that kind of money for guns and equipment. About $7000.00 to $8000.00 for starters would be a good guess.
5. Some would just rather keep on believing that because they screwed up at short range and an animal got away that it happens to us as longrangers. This is soooo untrue.
6. Others will NEVER believe their eyes even when you show them. They think it's a lucky shot when the animal goes down at ranges over 1000 yards and even 2000 yards.
7. Once they are converted, the price is not always a problem and they are out looking for all the equipment they can muster. So, there is some hope for these "Hard Noses"
It's best not to get in a Peeing contest with individuals like this because they just can't grasp reality, ballistics and bullet energy.
They may think they can because they killed a few animals and they saw the reation to that animal when hit at short range. Our game is totally different when the animal gets hit and one must see it to believe it.
Another reason we have our own LR Hunting forum is to open up with information pertaining to our experiances and any vocal doubter will be eleminated with the wrong statement on here.
Thanks to the Policies and Policing by Len, he keeps a firm grip on this forum and it has and will continue to prosper.
This forum is for Longrange HUNTERS and shooters ONLY and for those who honestly want to learn how it's done without throwing digs at those expressing their years of experiences. If one can't believe what is being said and makes verbal digs, they should not be here and will be eleminated.
We don't need those who would rather "put their Mouth in motion before their brain is engauged." This is a learning experiance for many on here and that's good.
Hope this Longrangehunting forum and all the particapants are on here a long time.
Thanks Len for having it.
[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]