Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Multi Purpose First Rifle/Scope Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Bronze Member

Multi Purpose First Rifle/Scope Combo

Hello all, another question for you. I am looking to make my first rifle/scope purchase. As my funds are limited, I need a rifle for several purposes. I would like it to be a learn to shoot rifle, deer rifle, maybe even a predator rifle. At this point in my learning about long range shooting/hunting, I don't need 1000 yard capability. This should save considerable dollars in optics. I would like to reach perhaps 500 yards for now. Caliber wise, I need something without terrible recoil and somewhat flat trajectory. An economical cartridge would also be appreciated. I was thinking a Savage or TC in .223 or .243, as far as optics I would like to be able to experience adjusting for range but I don't need anything fancy at this point. As I become more experienced with this setup, I will step up to a real long range setup. Thanks again for the help, I would like to stay under $1,000 total.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Multi Purpose First Rifle/Scope Combo

Savage 11 in 243 Nikon monarch in 3-12x or 4-16 bdc
Weatherby sub-moa vangard in 243 Burris 3.5-10 at swfa is on sale for $299
Used rifles at your local dealer can be a bargin as well. Most need to be bedded and a crown job which makes them good serviceable rifles
Remington and Savage are the lead donor rifles but a Winchester or some of the others will also make a good choices if you have a smith local to you to do the work on a particular brand.
There are many smiths here that can also tell you which brands they prefer to use to make shoot well.
First rifle you need is a .22 rimfire to learn the basics. I would start with a 22 and shoot for 3 months before the purchase of a center fire anything if your just learning to shoot for starters
Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

If its your first rifle and your looking for a work horse that isnt fancy I would go for something like a 7-08. its going to be cheap to shoot, light recoiling, and good on deer to 550 yards with the right bullet. a 308 is another good alternative.
I would say to stay away from the 6mm and even 6.5 if your looking for a conventional cartrige, unless it a wild cat they just dont got the engergy at 500 yards for deer. If your looking at just coyotes the plain ole' .243 win is great and can be used on deer to about 250 yards, some will strech it more but I always say too much is better than not enough.

You can try to find a nice used rifle and save some coin, or look at the savage line up. the Stevens model 200 is dirt cheap and I've seen them shoot really well with a little TLC.

There are alot of good scopes out there that resonably price. Im a fan of the Vortex Vipers, for the price they're hard to beat. I was also looking at the falcon Menace 4-14 FFP mill-dot for my next rig.

This is very inexpensive to get you going, but its a start.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

i think all the above suggestions are good ones.
one thing needs to be considered however. that is you live in philadelphia co.
no hunting, and not much shooting will be done there. i lived in adjoining bucks co. most of my many years, and there are problems there also.
no center fire rifles may be used for hunting.
im sure other surrounding counties would have similar laws.
certainly there are gun clubs where center fires could be used for target shooting. langhorne rod and gun club, and doylestown fish and game are but 2 im familar with. im not sure if the old holmesburg club still exist.
a rimfire would be a good choice, especially in 17 or 22 mag.
they are permitted in bucks co at least, and possibly others as well.
lots of groundhogs and other varmits can be taken with them.
they would also give you the oppurtunity to learn how to dial a scope.
initial investment would be reasonable.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Gentleman, thank you for your responses. Please forgive me for taking so long to respond. I will be taking your advice, I will be purchasing a Savage Mark II GL 22lr to begin with. Thanks for all the great info yobuck, I was not aware of the centerfire restriction. My preliminary focus at this point will be small bore silhouette, by the way Holmesburg Fish and Game is still in existence. I will be joining the club. Angus-5024, thank you as well. I did not mean to imply that I would attempt to shoot a deer at 500 yards. I was trying to say - I wanted a multi-purpose rifle that could be used for deer and target shooting to 500 yards. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I will be starting off with the trusty Savage 22lr. Thanks for the cartridge info; I was not aware that the 7-08 was economical to shoot, I will keep that in mind for my first real rifle. Ubettcha 13 thanks; as you have already read in this post, I am going with the Savage 22lr.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

A quote from a book called "Precision Shooting at 1,000 Yards" goes something like, "The road to 1,000 yards starts at 50 feet."

...making reference to 22 long rifle.

Excellent advice.

Have fun and be safe!!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

I have the MKIIFV and the thing will flat out shoot. But instead of the GL, you may want something closer to the style of rifle that is generally used for long range shooting both in target, tacticle, and hunting.

This is my suggestion with a good scope that you can transfer to the big rifle when you finally jump in to the centerfire stuff. I like Nikon Buckmasters, Falcon Menace, Bushnell elite series (3200, 4200 Tactical), and the SWFA SS 10x44. These are all very practical low price optics that will function well. Hawke and Vortex should be considered. I have and enjoy the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44.

My next 22LR setup:
Savage Arms Firearms > Mark II TR

EGW Savage MK II (1 3/8 Ejection Port) Tactical Picatinny Mount - $39.99 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

Hawke 4.5-14x42 Sidewinder Tactical 30mm Riflescope or Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope

Weaver Tactical 6 Hole Pictainny 30mm Rings

Harris Ultralight LM S Series Bipod

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!