Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Multi day pack w/excellent rifle carry option?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Multi day pack w/excellent rifle carry option?

I'm looking for a multi day pack 2000-5000cu that has a excellent setup for carrying a rifle. Seems like the carry system on most packs is an after thought or just a gimmick, no adjustability, no protection, sits to low, excessive movement when hiking,etc. Eberlestock seems to have a decent carry system, but not many others. Looking for some options or info from guys who have found a good setup. Thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Multi day pack w/excellent rifle carry option?

Eberlestock j34 works well for me. I do 5 day backpack hunts, but can only fit half of a large mule deer and camp in it. I could probably fit it all with some rearranging.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Kifaru Timberline 2 or any of their other appropriately sized packs. Their Longhunter and Timberline packs are one of a very few (if Any ) others that are designed to carry 100+ lbs so whe you are packin meat they handle the weight well, one reason being is that they are sized to you. I much prefer their rifle carry system to the Eberlestock as well as it is very comfortable and allows u to take that quick shot if it presents itself, something an Eberlestock does not allow. I have the Duplex Timberline 2 (pack separates from frame so u can change to a different pack bag given the hunt...pretty cool.)

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Silver Member

I use the Crooked Horn High Country Extreme 2 Backpack. I've carried upwards of 90lbs in it. It held up great. One thing I do not like about it, is as with many packs, when the rifle is strapped to the pack, it extends lower than the bottom of the pack so when you go to sit down it's awkward. Other than that, it is an awesome pack. Very happy with my purchase.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDog View Post
I use the Crooked Horn High Country Extreme 2 Backpack. I've carried upwards of 90lbs in it. It held up great. One thing I do not like about it, is as with many packs, when the rifle is strapped to the pack, it extends lower than the bottom of the pack so when you go to sit down it's awkward. Other than that, it is an awesome pack. Very happy with my purchase.
Good point. The Kifaru is very simple to sit on a log with, for instance, due to how the rifle is carried.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Kifaru Timberline 2 or any of their other appropriately sized packs. Their Longhunter and Timberline packs are one of a very few (if Any ) others that are designed to carry 100+ lbs so whe you are packin meat they handle the weight well, one reason being is that they are sized to you. I much prefer their rifle carry system to the Eberlestock as well as it is very comfortable and allows u to take that quick shot if it presents itself, something an Eberlestock does not allow. I have the Duplex Timberline 2 (pack separates from frame so u can change to a different pack bag given the hunt...pretty cool.)
How does the Kifaru carry a rifle. I looked for pics on their site and cant find any.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Holsters

Scot E.