Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

muley rut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

found this: "The breeding season for most Rocky Mountain mule deer begins in late October with fawning occurring as early as late May and peaking in June. Mule deer does have a gestation period of about 210 days. Arguably, the timing of mule deer reproduction evolved to maximize both doe and fawn survival.

Does who are bred in late October would fawn when spring weather and forage conditions were optimal. Forage plants at this time would be at their maximum protein content and digestibility. The availability of high protein forage would allow the doe to meet the energy demands of lactation. Until fawns are weaned, does will have little opportunity to build the energy reserves needed for the following rut and winter.

Fawns also require high protein diets to achieve maximize growth. Thus, the earlier a fawn is born and begins nursing, the more likely it is going to be able to take advantage of the high protein content available in spring forages. Fawns that receive adequate nutrition during juvenile growth periods are more likely to put on the body mass needed to survive winter. "
Old 10-31-2007, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

I purchased a report on the breeding cycle of mule deer including Utah and Colorado. The summary stated,"These methods revealed a breeding season starting the last few days of October, rising to a peak during the period November 20 to December 2, and declining gradually until the latter part of January."

My hunting partner killed a 32" 180ish brute with swollen neck about October 20 last season in the same area. I was at his house tonight looking at Google earth, planning our hunt. That big old buck on the wall sure fired my imagination!

Good luck guys!! Hope to have some pics soon!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
BTW: he was just a little over 34" outside spread.

AJ
Any photos of that hog?:eek:

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedog View Post
Any photos of that hog?:eek:
Here is a story and some pics I posted a while back.

A couple Muley stories with some pic's

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Gold Member

Thanks. Great stories and very nice bucks

Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 PM
SPONSOR

I am at my house near the Little Belts this week....the bucks are just starting to rut. Their necks are swelling and they are beginning to chase does. But we also had snow on Friday and Saturday of last week. That may have kicked them off a little.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info TMR!