Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

muley rut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

muley rut

A friend and I have tags for Colorado (near Steamboat) November 3-9th. I was wondering what to expect as far as rut behaviour. I've been told this time should be "pre-rut". I also have a Utah (near Salt Lake) archery tag, which has several "extended" areas. Meaning the seasons run through November, into mid December. When should I expect the rut to take place?

I find myself surprised I don't really know what to expect from the muley rut. While I usually hunt elk while they rut, I've always hunted muleys during the archery (summer) and general (october) seasons.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what to expect regarding behavior and timing of the rut.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 AM
PUBLISHER

Me, too!

I am heading to NE Montana late next week (November 8). That will be my latest mule deer hunt...except for the one several years ago on December 1. But that one, during the rut, only lasted 3 hours before I had shot my rutting buck and I didn't have time to learn all that much.

So tell us both what's it like to hunt during the mule deer rut and is there any buck-seeking-doe activity going on yet?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

I grew up in western Colorado and we always went up and watched the bucks chase the does during our Christmas vacations. According to biologists, its the amount of light in the day that gets the rut going, but I've seen it start a little earlier when it was an early winter.

I doubt the actual rut started early, but the weather would force the bucks and does together (I don't know if the does went into estrus early, but the bigger bucks started hanging with the does once the snow started piling up).

Even before the rut starts, there will be bucks with the does, but in my experience these are the 2-3 year olds that aren't "really bucks yet", the largest bucks don't start chasing does until hunting season is over and the mountain is theirs again. Although there are some small trophy hunts with just a few hunters, the last big season usually ends around mid-November.

Just my personal experience for what its worth. The largest Muley I've shot, was mid-November (last day of the last season) and he was alone in a drainage with no other deer. I'm sure he was just shy and the hunting pressure had him completely isolated from the does and smaller bucks. If I hadn't harvested him, I'm sure that by early December, he would have been in the thick of things, passing on his genes. BTW: he was just a little over 34" outside spread.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Len, exactly where will you be? We'll be in NE MT too, 8-11th. I was up there last weekend by Saco and saw some nice 150-160 bucks and one 200 + on private land. Rut hasn't started yet, bucks were still running together
Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
PUBLISHER

We'll be around Sidney from the 9th. Good luck!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

I believe my Utah archery ends the 15th of December. Should this give me a couple good weeks of rut?

Last edited by grit; 10-31-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Muley's are funky characters, the first thing you have to realize is that a plains muley is a completely different animal than a mountain muley. A mountain muley ruts later, feeds different, drinks different does just about everything different than his brothers on the plains. But one thing they all do is run uphill when they want to get out of dodge. You ought to see some good movement from the deer that time of year, but if you want to put some backstraps on the ground, get high up, first thing. You'll see more deer, and if they get spooked and are in your area code, they'll be likely to be running toward you.