Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mule Deer Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Mule Deer Hunt

Does your AZ mulie guide cater to bowhunters or is he mostly rifle?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, he's definitely an archery freak. The last conversation we had he related to me that he wouldn't even consider taking a firearm for elk, or mulie.

Rest assured, if you're looking for an archery guide, Ralph is your guy. So long as YOU know what you are doing and can shoot to 60-70-80 yards with a bow with confidence. If not, he'll put you in the animals lap. But for his clients, he does not have a problem with rifle hunters at all.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I would definatly like to talk with this guide for a future hunt. Any contact info would be much apprechiated!

BTW, growing up in AZ one was forced to become VERY profficient with archery tackle at 60-80 yards. I used to be deadly at 80 yards. I am not as good but I can hold my own at 70 yards.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Anderson, Ralph (Guide Service)

520-722-4103

Tell him Derek from Ohio sent you.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Bronze Member

I've been shopping for a (RIFLE) Mulie hunt in West Texas or the Eastern part of New Mexico. Anyone have any connections with either of these areas? Texas is preferred because I won't have to buy an out of State license. Never hunted Mulies or Pronhorn Antelope before but have wanted to since I was a kid!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Nighthunter, give Johnnie Hamilton a call or check out his website:

Johnnie Hamilton

719-846-3559

He has excellent references and success rates. If I recall, he does have land in TX to hunt. But for sure in NM and CO. Also, and I'm going by memory per one of our past phone converstions, his fee for the TX hunt is a bit more but that is because the lease is higher. AND, the quality of antelope bucks is not remarkable compared to other regions of the west.

OR you can call Billy Cole at the Flag Ranch: $2000 to hunt and $2000 kill fee

I actually like that. It is better than spending 4 thousand dollars on a hunt whether you kill or not. PLUS it makes you a bit choosy knowing that you have to fork over $2K if you pull the trigger. You'll most likely see Havelina, and lots of coyotes.

Good Luck.