Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mule Deer Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Mule Deer Hunt

I'm considering my first guided mule deer hunt. I will be traveling and hunting with a hunting buddy. At this point I really do not have a specific destination in mind.

I am looking for a location with a large mule deer population that will provide a good opportunity to see game. While I am interested in taking a nice buck for the trophy room, I am not looking for a record book animal. Just a decent representative buck that will make a nice mount.

With 2 kids in college, money is a consideration. I will be looking for reasonable services at a reasonable rate. Not dirt-cheap, just reasonable.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Mule Deer Hunt

What is your price range??
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

With 2 kids in college, money is a consideration. I will be looking for reasonable services at a reasonable rate. Not dirt-cheap, just reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need to know the maximum you are willing to pay for outfitter fee only, not including tips, travel, etc. I know some guys but I need to know if you are wanting to draw a tag if you can, or buy a landowner tag which is guaranteed.

The hunts I'm familiar with can run as little as $2200 all the way up to 6K.

What cranks your tractor? Desert? Rockies? Sandhills?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Derek,

Know any good desert mulie guides?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

I sure do. How interested are you?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Very interested for late 06 or early 07. Most desert mulies rut during Dec and Jan. I bow hunted desert mulies for about 7 years in Arizona but never connected. Archery hunting big mulies in sonoran desert country is one of the most challenging hunts IMO. Arizona has no rut hunts for desert mulies with a rifle. Hence my quest for a large desert mulie (rifle) else where.

So in short, I am VERY interested but for Dec 2006 or Jan 2007.

Thanks!!

I am actualy going coues/mulie hunting in less than a week but dont anticipate connecting this time either!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

My one friend, Ralph Anderson of Rincon Outfitters does guide in AZ. He is a friend I've known for many years and he is damn good at his success rates with his hunters. But, you've already done that.

Second, I'd recommend Desert Trophy Hunts, Drummond Lindsey.

But if you really want a rut hunt, I'd recommend going to Nebraska and hunt the sandhills with Jim and Scott Kuhn of Deer Meadows Outfitters.

The last place I mentioned had a really nice area.