Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mountain Lion hunt from wheelchair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

Mountain Lion hunt from wheelchair

I'm not sure this is the right forum but I figured I'd ask.

Has anybody heard of a wheelchair person being able to hunt mountain lions? I've been searching and cannot find someone who has tried it or done it. I realize it's incredibly hard for people on 2 feet but less crazier things have been accomplished.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences on it.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mountain Lion hunt from wheelchair

I've seen some hunts on TV and when using hounds -by far the most successful way to hunt them -the hunters are in very steep rugged country .
Hunting them by using a predator call might be a feasible way to get it done .
Put the wheelchair hunter in a ground blind in rugged mountainous terrain using a 4x4 truck .Drop the hunter out -put the blind over him set out the caller -park the truck in a low spot 4-500yds away come back crank up the caller and wait for a shot.
You'd probably has to shoot a few coyotes and bobcats while having your fingers crossed for a ML -but hey that wouldn't be that bad. Save some deer and other critters while waiting out the ML.
Put a little buddy propane heater in the blind and wait'em out..
From what I've read about ML calling -don't bother glassing b/c they are usually 'just there' .
Best of luck !
Mike
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

About the only practical way I can think of would be to have someone else locate a carcass that they were feeding on and get you set up over it.

Could be a long wait though. The predator call would work but only if one was close by.

In general big cats are extremely elusive. We have them in our area and see the signs of same frequently but In thirty years of hunting and then living here I've only seen two.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

I was thinking hounds with me on a horse with a high saddle.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

You can absolutely find a way to get it done!! The guy I learned to trap coyotes from broke his back and he still out traps everyone in the county, he still has enough below the waist he can us a walker kinda but when he's out he pulls himself on a sled to check his line.
The horse idea is a good one and would generally get you in the area of the tree, they usually tree in stuff that is steeper than a cows face though, at least around here. If you find a good houndsmen he'll know which cats he can get treed faster and where the best area would be to get on a fast tree. A couple buddies could pull a guy in a sled to the tree.
Lion hunting behind hound is the best hunting to be had IMO, between following lions and seeing the mountains through their eyes and listening to the hounds and getting in close on a lion I've never been on a better and sometimes more challenging hunt.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Tred Barta did a show on it... They ended up killing a bobcat but it is the same idea...
J-
Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

We have been treeing lions for the past month here. Been a good year. Some hikes are only a short one. Some would be too far. But for sure if you got with the right houndsman and spent some time it could be done. Would help to have a few strong friends to help you to the tree. Once the cat is treed it usually stays, but it might jump if it is too low in the tree, as humans approach. The dogs will tree it again usually in 200 yards or less. They will stay in the first or second tree most always and will stay there for as long as the dogs are there. So getting to the tree would not be a hurry up deal as long as shooting hours are not close to over. So I would definitely do a morning chase. But yes, you could do it and I think it would be very cool!!

Jeff