Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mount alignment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mount alignment?

Here is what I've started doing with scope setups that are somewhat limiting.
I turn the scope elivation nob down to 1/2 of a turn from bottom.Then put a one piece base on and the scope. Then I boresight through the bore and see where the x hairs are. I then shim the back of the base between the screws so that the xhairs line up with target.
Then the base is bedded tightened down so it stays put..
With the 20MOA base on the last 7mag the front actually had to be shimmed up a little to get the x hairs on target. With the IOR 6-24 set @ 18x that gives me 50 MOA of up in the scope and another 20 in the x hairs.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Here is what I've started doing with scope setups that are somewhat limiting.
I turn the scope elivation nob down to 1/2 of a turn from bottom.Then put a one piece base on and the scope. Then I boresight through the bore and see where the x hairs are. I then shim the back of the base between the screws so that the xhairs line up with target.
Then the base is bedded tightened down so it stays put..
With the 20MOA base on the last 7mag the front actually had to be shimmed up a little to get the x hairs on target. With the IOR 6-24 set @ 18x that gives me 50 MOA of up in the scope and another 20 in the x hairs.
What do you use for shims?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

What do you use for shims?

Usually use whats laying around, cut peices of popcan or different sizes of welding wire. I actually prefer wire as it lets you get bedding under the mount easier.If the wire is a little too big it can be flatened a little with a hammer. 3/32 wire has worked well but 1/16th, .045, .035,.030 or .024 will work for lesser amounts.
I'm sure a set of feeler guages would be easier if available and they sell shims just for this kind of thing.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM

You put shims on a scope mount?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

You put shims on a scope mount?

I put the shim between the base and the action.Shimming the back of a one piece base gives you more elivation adjustment , shimming the front gives you less.
Once I have it figured out how much is needed the action and screws get a little relese agent and the base is JB welded to the action with the shims in place. The screws are tightened only so contact is made and let harden. After the bedding material has hard the screws are touqued down and exess is trimmed off.
If you look between action and the base you can see the bedding.