Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Motivation...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

Motivation...

In a recent post, Mach V got me thinking about conversations I've had with several shooters regarding my motivation for developing the ability to kill at long range.

I've worked at it pretty steadily over the past 1.5 years, and I am confident in my system to consistently perform to 1000 yards. I haven't had enough opportunities to regularly stretch it much past 1000 as of yet.

My "system" includes, of course, my:

- rifle and rangefinder
- reloading skills
- trigger skills
- wind and relative air density compensation skills

So when I started this journey my motivation was to be able to reliably kill game animals at any range I could readily identify them as desirable to kill.

This remains my motivation to continue.

That ugly little buck at 389 and that beautiful doe at 225 were the only shots that were presented to me during the 4-day hunt. I was able to cleanly put the hammer down on these animals knowing that my system allowed me to do so with 100% authority.

I could have done exactly that with targets much further away, but I am just as satisfied to have killed at these ranges...

So, to sum up, I want to be the most effective hunter I can be in a variety of situations - short range or long - doesn't matter at all. Developing my system to perform at extended range has gone a long way toward acheiving that goal.

I guess with all the forces arrayed against us, I thought it'd be good to at least put my motivation down in writing and see how your thoughts compare...
Old 11-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Motivation...

STL

Looks like your putting in the time and practice it takes to be successful at Long-range when the opportunity presents itself.

Good shooting.

later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

I always figured if it's out there .....it can be done.

Vern
Old 11-28-2003, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

If I can see it I should to beable to kill it. Thats mine. I do not like limatations put on me by people or tools. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Another twist... When we kill at 500 or less, do we feel a tinge of guilt, like we should have turned around and run away from the animal several hundred yards before shooting?

I for one don't necessarily seek extreme shots - I just love the open country and I'm prepared when a long shot is presented.

That might seem like a fine point, or just semantics, but those guys writing the anti-longrange garbage on the Net and elsewhere, they've got me stirred up today... I bet that's what the they think of us...

Like we live to only to thump our chests about the ever-increasing range of our kills rather than extolling the entire experience.

Aren't we hunters at heart, like them? Only we've learned to kill at all ranges where conditions and our systems will allow, short or long...

In fact, aren't we more so the true hunters, since we spend so much time in preparation?
Old 11-29-2003, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

I honestly don't know what has motivated me to continually strive for the longest practical kills on varmints. Naturally, what is "practical" has changed considerably with the advent of custom firearms, quality loading components, advanced loading technics, laser rangefinders, wind meters and the conscientious effort to make all these things work in harmony.

Some people would call this excessive compulsive disorder. I just call it fun. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

My motivation "to kill at long range".

I see it not so much as "long range" but as precision shooting/marksmanship. I shoot to make the bullet hit a mark no matter the range, this is my personal motivation... each shot is a test that I must pass and do better than previous shots. This constant striving for precision lends itself well to furthering the distance I can reliably make kills. We all know trajectories are repeatable, what we do is match trajectory to range, 389 yards or 905 yards... The confidence I gain through quality practice with precision equipment and consistent supplies (ammo) enables me to make the make the shots others often pass on as "impossible".

I don't feel the need to make shots longer than presented... I set up to command a sufficient area to increase my odds of seeing a desireable animal. I will decide whare to shoot the animal depending on the distance, animal and environmentals. Some I may head (brain) shoot, other heart and still others double lung.... I do feel a need to add a little challenge... a double lung at 200 yards is boring shot and it wouldn't be too long before that constant hum-drum boredom would end my hunting.

Difficult to say who's more the true hunter... I will say that I have learned a lot from the many hours I've spent in the field watching animals at "long range" I'm sure that there are folks that believe the standard whitetail deer spends all of it's waking hours running with it's tail in the standard "flag" mode... probably never seen one that wasn't startled by their (the hunters') presence. I believe I personally am a much better hunter than before I began long range hunting... before I'd accidently blunder into animals, now I have a very good idea where they are most of the time and am prepared.

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]