Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Most memorable shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Ok,,, One More,

Daaang !!

They just keep getting better !

Really guys, they are all as they should be , marvelous stories of the past , real and very enjoyable .

Please , don't miss this opportunity to tell us how it was ! And slow typing don't count as an alibi cause I type with two fingers ( I'll tell you a secret about how to beat Roy or SS7mm alias
Dick , just email me me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

C'mon ! cough 'em up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and Roy may give us the m.o.a.s ( mother of all stories ) at the end

Jim B.

Unread 02-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

When I was 15 I was hunting in SW Idaho for mule deer with my dad. We hiked into this draw that was straight up on both sides and covered top to bottom in manzanita. My dad asked me how bad I wanted to kill something; I replied baaaaad!
He sent me into the brush crawling, scratching,fighting my way through the taller than I tangled brush (only knowing which way was up cause I couldn't see a thing) to the top of the ridge. When I reached the ridge I walked along the top edge of the brush throwing huge rocks into the maze below as we worked our way down the draw.I jumped a nice 4 pt that I could see about every third jump so a shot was impossible.
I ran down the ridge to get to an opening and waited for the buck to emerge. He busted out of the brush about a hundred mph and was headed down and away from me at about a 60 degree angle. One shot from my 270 and he dropped in a skidding pile to the creek bed in the bottom of the draw. I raced to the bottom as excited as a teenage boy could be.
I arrived about the same time as my dad and found the buck to be very alive but unable to get his feet due to having the knee joint blown out on one hind and the opposite front leg. In a moment of brilliance my dad grabbed the buck by the antlers and said slit his throat while I hold him! That little extra support was all the buck needed to regain his feet and he had enough drive to run my dad up and down the creek bottom for about 20 min, all the while my dad screaming at the top of his lungs...SHOOT HIM, SHOOT HIM!!!
I couldn't shoot for fear of hitting my dad and because I was rolling on the ground in tears from the sight of this weird dance. I finally got a knife blade into the throat and all this did was add blood spraying all over the place to the picture. What seemed like an hour later the buck finally gave his last tango and lay quiet in the creek, my dad was covered head to toe in sweat, mud, and blood from the ordeal. I gutted the buck fighting back the laughter that was shared by the whole family when we finally got back to camp and recited the whole story over again.
To this day I still laugh out loud when I see the mental picture of the little buck running my dad from here to there in that creek bottom and him screaming SHOOT HIM, SHOOT HIM!. Though I miss my dad the memories of him and growing up hunting and fishing in Idaho with him will always bring a smile to my face or a laugh from my gut.
If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
Unread 02-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote " If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough "

That was hilarious , thanks , Jim B.
Unread 02-16-2006, 02:07 PM

My best long range memory came last april when I first started in this crazy, and expensive, game. Me and BJ were shooting at our homemade range at a 1' square gong at 675yds. I was shooting my factory savage 22-250 with 55gr BT's.
After figuring the nearly absent wind I was able to land 7 out of 10 shots on the gong back to back. I was feeling cocky so I told BJ that I was gonna cut the thin rope that held the gong up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. I settled my cross hairs on the thin line and tripped the trigger. I saw the bullet impact the tree just behind the line, extremely close.
I had one bullet left and I told BJ i would try it again just for the hell of it. As the trigger broke I eyed the gong and saw the bullet splash directly in the knot of the line.
The gong fell to earth and I couldnt stop laughing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

ALong with this would have to be when I killed my first 1000yd plus pdog. After I made that shot I felt like I had just one a gold medal or something.

Hell of a fun hobby

take it easy
Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Unread 02-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

ive got another one, but i did not make this shot, but it is probably the best shot i have ever seen!

back before my dad and i knew what we were doing ( had decent gear) my dad carried a old OLD remington model 721 in .270 with a old weaver fixed 4 power scope. we still have this gun and it is my favorite gun, it shoots federal 140 accubonds in dime size groups! not bad for being about 60 years old and beat all to hell! anyways, its opening morning of whitetail season here in Arizona. my dad and i say we will be back before 8am with a buck ( im to young to hunt so im carrying my trusty BB run) well about a mile out of camp, this little forky jumps up from down hill of us about 250 yards and just starts haulin the mail, i mean dead sprint and these little suckers are fast!! in one quick, swift movement, my dad takes the 270, gets the buck in his sight and squeezes the trigger! the buck doesnt take another step and falls out of mid air like he was struck by lightning! when we get down to the buck, my dad had severed his spine and because the shot was so steep downward, taken out one lung and part of the rib cage. and yes, we were back in camp by 8am! that is probably the best shot i have ever seen!

well, besides me shooting a hummingbird out of the air with my BBgun when i was like 7.
77" coues buck, last day 571 yards. .257 Wby. 115 VLD
Unread 02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Bronze Member

My dad and I were hunting whitetails in the palouse country of Wa. one day. We decided to drive to the back of a wheatfield to an eyebrow that usually held deer to check it out. When we pulled up to the top of the eyebrow, I caught something come busting out of the bottom of the eyebrow. Were talking about 200-250 of elevation change. What I saw was a very nice big yote'. He was running full out accross the bottom of the draw which was in winter wheat at the time. He was around 300 yards running full tilt, left to right and about 250 ft. lower in elevation. I jumped out of the jeep, grabbed my model 88 winchaser 243, jammed the clip home and took a bead on the yote'. Just for the fun of it I held about 3 ft. in front of him, and kept my swing as if I were shooting a passing duck, and touched 'er off. The yote' tumbled like he had been hit by a truck, rolled once and jumped back up and took off around the hill full steam. I looked at my dad in disbelief. He returned the look. We walked on up the eyebrow to where we could see up the draw that the yote' disappeared in, and there he was, piled up not 20 yards from where I rolled him. Later, I went and took a close up look just to see where I had hit him. The bullet struck him just behind the shoulder and hammered both lungs and the heart. My dad said that was the best shot he had ever seen....not too long after that he passed away from cancer....I'll always remeber that shot, just for the simple fact that it was one of last times I got to hunt with my dad, and he was proud of hunter he had raised....
270 A.M Custom
Unread 02-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

The same buddy of mine from my previous memorable shot story did this memorable shot. We always hunt ground squirrel during off season to hone our shooting skill. The shot were usually long and we missed a lot because squirrel doesn't gave you that much target to begin with in the first place. We were just begining to warmed up shooting at squirrel at around 200 to 300 yards when all of a sudden one came out and presented itself at a laser distance of 475 yards.It was my buddy's turn to shoot so I spotted for him. He was shooting his 243 Remington Varminter loaded with 87 grain Hornady HPBT Match. At the shot, I saw the dust exploded right in front of the squirrel.When the dust settled, I saw the squirrel twirling around and tip-toing obiously not a solid hit. I even told my buddy that I think he just splashed the squirrel with dirt."No way he said. I think I nicked him". Meanwhile, the squirrel still keep on twirling around while me and my buddy were arguing about whether he nicked the squirrel or not when all of the sudden here comes Wiley Coyote looking for an easy meal. The coyote went after the wounded squirrel when by buddy dispatched him with one will place shot behind the shoulder. The coyote went down without much of a flinch.It turned out that my buddy did hit the squirrel in the front leg just slighty below the shoulder.
To achieve the maximum possible accuracy, all variables must be remove or at least minimize.