Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Most accurate out of the box factory 300 win mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Most accurate out of the box factory 300 win mag?

I'm thinking sendero sf but open to others
Old 03-30-2004, 08:49 PM

Re: Most accurate out of the box factory 300 win mag?

Savage BVSS
cheaper to
Old 04-01-2004, 02:51 AM
Bronze Member

Personally I would stick to the Sendero. Much better after market parts to choose from, better re-sale value, the Rem Model 700 action is a great start to a custom later, and not to mention they shoot great the way they are. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 06:20 AM

Sendero
Old 04-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Bronze Member

My off the shelf Sendero in 300 win mag shot 1/2 moa. All I did was lighten the trigger. Why buy custom?

75 gr. R22 w/ Nos 180's either BT', Partions, or Accubonds. .010 to .020 off the lands. This is my pet load. Yours may differ but its a good place to start.

Ronnie
Old 04-01-2004, 06:37 AM

My off the shelf Sendero shot baseball size groups @ 100 yds. with all the std. 300 WM loads. I've owned probably 20 new 700's in various calibers s over the past 10 years and have not had good luck with their accuracy. I'm not here to trash big Green because believe me I'd much prefer to find a reasonably accurate factory rifle over the expense of customs. The Sendero was sold a month after the purchase and a Nesika Bay, Hart, McMillan, Jewell is currently getting assembled. I hope it shoots. Good luck with the Rem if that 's your choice but rest assured, factory rifle accuracy is a crap shoot at best.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

.. Keep in mind that all rifles are like Forrest's "box of chocolates".. Ya never know what yer gonna git.!! Hehehe.. The best you can do is hedge your bets with top components and a competant 'smith..

OTOH..

..Most Remington's can be tuned to shoot reasonably well from what I've seen.. I had a well tuned VSSF that would regularly print groups in the sub .5 range till I took it out west one time and got a little happy with the PD's.. Oh well, that's what they're for, I guess..
..I've recently purchased a Savage 12BVSS and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it's out-of-the-box accuracy.. Plus, I'm looking forward to experimenting with it's modularity.. The old style laminated stock is somewhat useless for anything but bi-pod work.. I had to put a stabilizer on it for bag work.. The new low profile may help the new Savages..
.. Either way, there's plenty of aftermarket schtuff for both.. But most of the Savage gizmo's can be installed by the user.. I think that's why gunsmith's hate'em and bad mouth 'em so much.. While they do lack craftsmanship, they also seem to work very well..
.. Good luck with whatever ya end up with.. d:^) JiNC

PS- And on that note, I'm of to LDC for a few days.. And it just figures.. The wind is a-howlin' now.!!