Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mossberg 4x4 rifle accuracy????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Bronze Member

Mossberg 4x4 rifle accuracy????

Does anybody have any feedback on the Mossberg 4x4 line of rifles? I know they are a "no frills" rifle, but the 4x4 I viewed on their website is actually got what appear to be some "upgrade" features that come stock from the factory.

First of all, it has a zero-creep trigger (similar to Savage's Accutrigger) which is adjustable to 2 lbs.

It also has an attractive monte carlo laminate stock.

Finally, it has a 24" fluted barrell, which comes wtih a muzzlebreak.

It LOOKs like a decent rife.........

But, does it shoot?

Anybody got any experience with these rifles?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Mossberg 4x4 rifle accuracy????

They are getting pretty decent reviews in shooting magazines. They won't set course records, but accuracy is good. Dad has one in a 30-06 that shoots really well. For a first time gun or one to be put in a truck, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply, Tank! So, just how well does your dad's Mossberg shoot? And, is it the 4x4 model as I described in my opening tread? Are we talking 2" groups at 100, or is it anywhere close to moa (or sub moa) at 100? Just curious to see how this "no frills, budget gun" stacks up to .....say..... a Savage or Tikka or 700.

Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleythumper View Post
Thanks for the reply, Tank! So, just how well does your dad's Mossberg shoot? And, is it the 4x4 model as I described in my opening tread? Are we talking 2" groups at 100, or is it anywhere close to moa (or sub moa) at 100? Just curious to see how this "no frills, budget gun" stacks up to .....say..... a Savage or Tikka or 700.

Thanks again!
I know this isn't saying much, but it stacks holes at 50yds. That is all the farther we had to shoot the one and only time I got to shoot it. Publications in shooting times and Rifle Shooter magazine state .8" to 1.5" depending on ammunition used. If you hand load, I'm sure you can rain that in to be consistent. Heck, 1.5" is good to 300yds in my opinion. I know from watching Guns and Ammo Tv, and Guns and Gear, they really like the Mossberg MVP and its accuracy. I would expect the same out of the big guns.

Comparing them to Tikka and Savage are little harder. I'm sure it could keep up with the right ammo. But I'm a Savage guy and probably will be for a long time unless they do something stupid or QC goes down hill. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a Mossberg, but its just not what I want at this point and time. If I do buy one, it will be the MVP.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks again, Tank! I reckon I will keep the 4x4 in mind for a LR rifle, if and when the time comes that I actually make a purchase.

I found a review that Dave Petzal wrote, and he gave it a very positive review. I also found another review, and its writer got anywhere from .6 to 1.2 inch groups (5 shots) at 100 yards. So, I have no doubts that the rifle will shoot.

And at around $500 to $600 bucks, that would be hard to beat.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 PM

I know this really don't answer your question, but for the same price (even cheaper) look at the Savage Axis. I got one in a 243 for a 'beat around' coyote/deer rifle. This thing out-shoots a lot of my higher end guns! With factory ammo! I'm gonna load for it when I get time...I really think I can get this thing in the 2's pretty easy. Heck it's shooting 1/2 to 5/8's now. I'm sure the Mossberg is a good choice as well. God bless........
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM

Shot it today

Shot today my recently acquired brand new Mossberg 4x4 in 30-06, black plastic stock, muzzle brake, and scope combo.

The stock itself appears to be cheap and wraps at the barrel easily touching the supposedly "free-floated" barrel. The bolt is far from glass smooth and requires some effort to get it out of and into the battery. The mag is cheap plastic.

Took the stock off, adjusted the trigger to its minimum of 2 pounds or so, bought two boxes of 30-06 -- one Winchester Super X, the other Remington Core Lokt.

Despite of all seemingly cheapo stuff, the first shot was just a few inches low but windage was right on. A few clicks up on the scope and I was within 1 inch bull's eye circle on my target. I shot four 3-shot groups with one ammo and the same from another box. Both ammo are the cheapest I could find in my local gun shop, nothing special about it. 180 grain bullets, lead soft point, semi-jacketed. The result is, without any modifications to the gun, it surprisingly shot within 1-1.5 inch groups