Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

is more speed worth the powder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 PM

is more speed worth the powder?

Hi guys and gals! i am pretty new to this whole long range shooting thing. I have been doing quite nicely with a 243 out to 600yds but had a question. currently i am using 87gr HPBT hornady with 39.8g of h4350 i get around 2900fps with this load. it shoots pretty consistently under moa. but then i loaded up some "hotter" rounds at 42.5g of h4350 and that gives me about 3000fps it also seems to group a little better but not a huge difference. now my question is should i keep shooting my original load or should i switch to the hotter one the reason i ask is it really a worth the extra powder and shorter shell life for the 100fps gained? thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: is more speed worth the powder?

I'd do it, if it's grouping better. The faster one will have a little less wind drift, which is everything when Long Range is involved.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

What you need to do is go down to Home Depot and get an axe handle and let your wife hit you upside the head with it about five times a day until you realize that you need a heavier bullet with a higher BC
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Too funny!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Well I sure hope he has a sense of humor since it is his first post on this forum. Welcome by the way. Since you asked, shoot whichever you want. It won't matter too much. But using a heavier bullet with a higher BC will help you with wind drift more than velocity will.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperpro View Post
Hi guys and gals! i am pretty new to this whole long range shooting thing. I have been doing quite nicely with a 243 out to 600yds but had a question. currently i am using 87gr HPBT hornady with 39.8g of h4350 i get around 2900fps with this load. it shoots pretty consistently under moa. but then i loaded up some "hotter" rounds at 42.5g of h4350 and that gives me about 3000fps it also seems to group a little better but not a huge difference. now my question is should i keep shooting my original load or should i switch to the hotter one the reason i ask is it really a worth the extra powder and shorter shell life for the 100fps gained? thanks!
If you get better groups with it I'd say so. With such a light bullet you really aren't pushing it very hard and thus not creating any significant extra throat erosion.

Faster + More accurate always equals better in my book as long as in doing so I'm not loading it up so hot as to eat up barrels at an accelerated rate.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
Well I sure hope he has a sense of humor since it is his first post on this forum. Welcome by the way. Since you asked, shoot whichever you want. It won't matter too much. But using a heavier bullet with a higher BC will help you with wind drift more than velocity will.
Yep and he should be able to go up at least 10gr on bullet weight and still get the same velocity... .