Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

More "shooting" than actual hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: More "shooting" than actual hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Well if your not stuck on a 100grn bullet, I would suggest the 105 A-max or 107SMK. Most of the new rifles in 6mm have a tight enough twist to handle them. These 2 bullets with a good healthy dose of H4350 will achieve your objective. Here is an article that will help you out.

243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I think the caliber you want will do all you need. One of the BOTW clips you can find on line shows them dropping a yote at 1100yds with a 243 using a 107SMK.

Tank
none of the NEW factory rifles that i know of have a twist fast enough for a 107 except for the savage 6br in an 8 twist. i have never heard of a factory remington stabalizing a 107. the Botw shot the coyote 1017 yards with a 105 berger out of an 8 twist 243. i have heard some rems will handle the 105 a-max . sully you should be able to find something that will work in your VLS. enjoy.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
You're missing the point evidently...
1) I DONT WANT a .260Rem, 6.5 Rem Mag, 264wm, 6.5x284 or 7mm mag.
2) Those calibers ARE NOT AVAILABLE in the model I wish to buy ( VLS)
3) Everything the VLS has to offer I like / or wish to have

4) If they did offer it...and they dont...the alternative caliber(s) Id chose would be a 6.5-06; 25-06 and maybe???( but I really doubt it) a .270 but AGAIN the arent offered in the VLS model.
You're right I am missing that point because that's not what you stated in the posts I've replied to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2
No competition at all....no. A "paper puncher" mostly but a LONG RANGE Yote and dog killer for western trips.

Ive got a VLS in 22-250....and a re-stocked SPS in 243...but am looking for something that will "reach out and touch someone"..sort of thing. 600; 700 or maybe even further distance.
I shoot long range with lots of wind on a regular basis because I've spent most of my life in the western US shooting long range in the winds most of my life so I thought it prudent to suggest calibers which should perform better out here.

Sorry for wasting your time by suggesting calibers with better ballistic characteristics for your intended purposes.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
none of the NEW factory rifles that i know of have a twist fast enough for a 107 except for the savage 6br in an 8 twist. i have never heard of a factory remington stabalizing a 107. the Botw shot the coyote 1017 yards with a 105 berger out of an 8 twist 243. i have heard some rems will handle the 105 a-max . sully you should be able to find something that will work in your VLS. enjoy.
Man... I screwed the pooch on that info! Thanks for the correction. I knew the Savages handle the heavier bullets for the .243. I knew the yardage was pretty far, but thought it a little farther. Oh well, that is why we back each other up here.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!