Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

More "shooting" than actual hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

More "shooting" than actual hunting

Thinking of a Rem 700 VLS ( laminated wood stock; I like the feel...like the "color"...like everything about them but the weight....oh well?)
.243 caliber topped by a ( scope unknown at this point). If the factory trigger cant be adjusted to my satisfaction then Id go right to a Jewell or Timney or whatever. ( I dont need and dont WANT some 1/2 pound trigger pull)

100 grain slugs whizzing out at 3000 FPS (probably Hornadys but open to anything that groups tightly) over a charge of "X" weight of ( unknown at this point) powder.

What do ya think fellas?...Will it work for me?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

Re: More "shooting" than actual hunting

Curious on the shooting your doing. Just going to the range or are you going to compete with it. gun looks pretty sweet and remington has more after market parts than you could dream of so it can't be a bad deal.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moa View Post
Curious on the shooting your doing. Just going to the range or are you going to compete with it. gun looks pretty sweet and remington has more after market parts than you could dream of so it can't be a bad deal.
No competition at all....no. A "paper puncher" mostly but a LONG RANGE Yote and dog killer for western trips.

Ive got a VLS in 22-250....and a re-stocked SPS in 243...but am looking for something that will "reach out and touch someone"..sort of thing. 600; 700 or maybe even further distance.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Well in that case go for it. Remington normally is reliable for accuracy. Im not a remington expert but i dont see why this wouldn't fit your needs. With all the after market parts you should be able to tune it to how you want it. But who says anything is going to need changed my most accurate gun is still all factory
Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moa View Post
Well in that case go for it. Remington normally is reliable for accuracy. Im not a remington expert but i dont see why this wouldn't fit your needs. With all the after market parts you should be able to tune it to how you want it. But who says anything is going to need changed my most accurate gun is still all factory

Yeah...I dont know before hand if anything HAS TO BE changed..but should something arise that I cant work around...I'll swap it out ( such as the trigger...etc. Although I love the triggers in the 2 M700's I presently own)

We shall see......
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
No competition at all....no. A "paper puncher" mostly but a LONG RANGE Yote and dog killer for western trips.

Ive got a VLS in 22-250....and a re-stocked SPS in 243...but am looking for something that will "reach out and touch someone"..sort of thing. 600; 700 or maybe even further distance.
If that's your intended use I'd go ahead and step it up to the .260Rem, 6.5 Rem Mag, 264wm, 6.5x284 or 7mm mag.

Much higher ballistic coefficients and even velocities with heavier bullets.

Also great selection of VLD bullets for the above suggested calibers. The Higher BC VLD bullets become enormously important out west because of the winds you'll be dealing with on a regular basis.

As for the Remington, as others stated, the 700 action is amongst the best by far with an enormous aftermarket parts availability.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Well if your not stuck on a 100grn bullet, I would suggest the 105 A-max or 107SMK. Most of the new rifles in 6mm have a tight enough twist to handle them. These 2 bullets with a good healthy dose of H4350 will achieve your objective. Here is an article that will help you out.

243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I think the caliber you want will do all you need. One of the BOTW clips you can find on line shows them dropping a yote at 1100yds with a 243 using a 107SMK.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!