Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Moose Down 778m

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Moose Down 778m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubbit View Post
Hi Jeff, muzzle velocity was approx 2840 fps. I havn't pushed very hard with this load. I can see why the hybrids may expand better with the flatter and deeper lead nose. I'm definitely going to try them if I can get my hands on some as I single load for long range shooting, so having them fit in the mag is a non issue.

On another note all, my long range rifle is a Rem 700 XCR. Have added a Timney trigger and ATRS brake, and have had it bedded. It consistently shoots about .6-.7 MOA. Is it worth putting a full contour match barrel on it without going with a higher end action? My brother tells me I'm not going to get substantially better accuracy unless I go with a full custom build... Something about a sow's ear to a silk purse... Much as I don't want to admit it, he may be right.
Thank you for that info. I want to run the numbers so I can come up with a lower end velocity for the 210 Targets.

I have seen some XCR's shoot real well especially the first design with the better stocks. I would not rebarrel until you try some different bullets. I would almost guarantee the 215's would group tighter. But that is just my gut feeling.

Is it hard to ship bullets into Canada? I am not sure of the laws and legal end.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Thats very interesting with the jacket split so you can see how the lead core is. Do you think the way the lead is inside the 230 target that it would expand better then the hybrid in a lung heart shot? Is there a benefit or disadvantage to the way the lead core is designed in the 230 target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
This is the picture and thread I was looking for. The 230 on top 210 on bottom.

230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

The 215 Hybrid is very similar. Starting in with a grinding belt at the tip you will remove about .475" of copper tip before you get to the lead. Much different design and proof not all bullets are the same even from the same mfg. This is why I stress "Know your bullet and how to use it" No matter what it says on the box.

Jeff

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubbit View Post
Does that include the hunting VLDs Elk?
Every Berger I've tested will not expand under 2000' unless it hits something pretty solid!. That's not to say they won't leave a pretty good exit hole because when they don't expand, they make a banana bullet almost everytime which causes the tumbling. Many have seen what a military round will do at times, and we all know that they don't expand.....Rich
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the feedback from everyon. Am going to work up a Retumbo/215 hybrid load over the winter for the 300 WM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

I call him Drybones. My wife says he can't live inside yet as he still smells just a touch, so he'll live in the garage and get bleached every few days. Will mount him along with the bullet that went through his heart once he's certified non-smelly! Got the 215 hybrids in. Crazy long bullets. Can't wait for next year.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Moose Down 778m-drybones.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

I found that Borax worked very well to clean skulls and is not as harsh on them as bleach.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. Will give it a shot.