Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Moose Down 778m

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Moose Down 778m

Hi Jeff, no it wasn't dependent on temp. For example, I shoot an average of 2887 fps at 59f and 2812 at 35f. When I test a load I chill it for 12 hrs at ambient outside temp, so have a pretty good idea of what it shoots. After going through my log again, I generally have fairly stable muzzle velocities except for about 1 in 7 that is approx 100 fps high. I'm pretty sure the first shot on the moose was one of those. Too many variables at this point. Once I get the new chrono, and start loading with Norma instead of Win brass, I'll be able to narrow things down a bit. If my internal capacity varies as much as the externals of the Win brass did, that may well be the problem. Have another long cold winter to get it right... Probably over thinking things right now.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Please tell me you are not shooting across a "Shooting Chrony"

Jeff
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Yup. I take it they're not reliable? Before that it was an RCBS chrono that I'm pretty sure read about 30 fps slow. Shot through both at the same time multiple times to test. I've always thought it was the weakest link so was happy to hear your recommendation for the Magneto Speed.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

I would not trust the Chrony especially those foul balls that jumped 100 fps. I have 3 Chrony's and they are all wrong. The Oehler 35 really opened my eyes to what a good chronograph can do. I used my Oehler to verify the Magneto speed. A high percentage of the shots I see go high are from a rear bag that is not down and tight or is simply to soft. Not saying this was your problem at all. Just offering what I have problems with.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

You may well be right Jeff. I'll have 3 months of Lake Trout fishing and long range shooting on the East Arm of Great Slave Lake over the summer to semi-perfect things. It's the middle of nowhere, so I'll do my usual and set up on one island and shoot to another. With the Magneto Speed, I'll be able to chrono all my long range practice shots in the field. Going to be a great summer. Just have to get through the winter. Rule of thumb on the East Arm is a 10 lbs Lake Trout every 10 minutes running 2 downriggers. This one's from last summer.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Moose Down 778m-eli-trout-23-lbs.jpg