close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

Moose Down 778m

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
Posts: 7,302
Re: Moose Down 778m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I understand. The issue I had with it was pressure spikes. If I loaded it up to max to get that little extra velocity, what was fine today would be too hot with a stiff bolt next week. Even in the same lot. It just seemed to have pressure spikes when running close to max. I preferred H-1000 as it seemed to be the same powder all the time, every time, if you use the same lot.

jeff
I've tried a lot of powders over the years loading for thirty different rifles and 7 different calibers and H-1000 is the most consistent powder I've ever used. Lots of powders can be just flat temperamental as all get out with wild shifts in pressure signs and velocities depending on environmental factors but H-1000 just seems to never have a bad day.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  •   #72  
    Unread 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: Moose Down 778m

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broz View Post
    I understand. The issue I had with it was pressure spikes. If I loaded it up to max to get that little extra velocity, what was fine today would be too hot with a stiff bolt next week. Even in the same lot. It just seemed to have pressure spikes when running close to max. I preferred H-1000 as it seemed to be the same powder all the time, every time, if you use the same lot.

    jeff
    I don't doubt your experience at all Jeff, but it's very interesting to me that I have not experienced the spiking at all with my loads and I run mine at red line or close to it. You no doubt have burned a lot more Retumbo than me. What time frame did you experience this? Could it have been a bad batch? I think I remember reading a couple months ago about a couple of cases where guys were getting "caking' in their case with compressed or near compressed loads.
    __________________
    - Mark

    You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
    ~ John Quincy Adams
    Reply With Quote

      #73  
    Unread 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Yellowknife, NT Canada
    Posts: 100
    Re: Moose Down 778m

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I don't doubt your experience at all Jeff, but it's very interesting to me that I have not experienced the spiking at all with my loads and I run mine at red line or close to it. You no doubt have burned a lot more Retumbo than me. What time frame did you experience this? Could it have been a bad batch? I think I remember reading a couple months ago about a couple of cases where guys were getting "caking' in their case with compressed or near compressed loads.
    Along these lines, has there been any in-depth discusssion on whether the lie/packing of the powder in the case can influence velocity/pressure significantly? This has been a concern of mine as I transit via boat for a couple of hours in rough water and have noticed spikes after that in my 300. I don't run compressed loads with H4831SC and there is a significant amout of powder movement in the case. I wonder if it packs on one side and burns differently.

    Eli
    Reply With Quote
      #74  
    Unread 10-22-2013, 05:36 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Townsend, Montana.
    Posts: 8,470
    Re: Moose Down 778m

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I don't doubt your experience at all Jeff, but it's very interesting to me that I have not experienced the spiking at all with my loads and I run mine at red line or close to it. You no doubt have burned a lot more Retumbo than me. What time frame did you experience this? Could it have been a bad batch? I think I remember reading a couple months ago about a couple of cases where guys were getting "caking' in their case with compressed or near compressed loads.
    Mark. it was 4 to 5 years ago and prior. Back when I was loading 30-378's, 338-378's, 378's and 340's a lot. None were compressed loads and yes it was from more than one lot over a few years.

    Jeff
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #75  
    Unread 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Townsend, Montana.
    Posts: 8,470
    Re: Moose Down 778m

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scrubbit View Post
    Along these lines, has there been any in-depth discusssion on whether the lie/packing of the powder in the case can influence velocity/pressure significantly? This has been a concern of mine as I transit via boat for a couple of hours in rough water and have noticed spikes after that in my 300. I don't run compressed loads with H4831SC and there is a significant amout of powder movement in the case. I wonder if it packs on one side and burns differently.

    Eli
    Were the spikes with 4831 or Retumbo?

    Jeff
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #76  
    Unread 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Location: Yellowknife, NT Canada
    Posts: 100
    Re: Moose Down 778m

    H4831sc
    Reply With Quote
      #77  
    Unread 10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Townsend, Montana.
    Posts: 8,470
    Re: Moose Down 778m

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scrubbit View Post
    H4831sc
    Thanks. That's interesting. Were the ambient temps hot?

    Jeff
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC