Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana Rifleman Actions/Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2002, 11:37 PM

Montana Rifleman Actions/Barrels

I'm a south paw looking to put together a short action 6.5. I've narrowed it down to a 6.5-284 or 6.5 WSM. I wouldn't consider myself a long range hunter preferring 400 yds. or less. I've heard the 6.5 WSM is a bbrl. burner. Any suggestions? Montana Rifleman will soon have their relatively inexpensive action available in various LH configurations and offers chambered bbrls. in both calibers I mentioned. Is their product any good? Are they competent at building an accurate, square barreled action? If I could find one I would go for a short LH Rem. 700 but they're kinda hard to come by.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Montana Rifleman Actions/Barrels

I have not used a Montana Riflemans action.. yet but have used a few of his barrels with good results. I note the Alberta tag. Have you considered a barrel from Ron Smith? I have several of his in various calibres & have found his barrels not only extremely good but for us north of the 49th more affordable and more importantly attainable.I have heard that 6.5 WSMs are hard on barrels but if you use a good stainless barrel & the have it cryoed this will help slow down the throat erosion problem some.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:55 PM

Long Ranger;

Thank's for the reply. I've been told by more than one fellow Albertan that Ron makes great barrels. I understand that he is getting fairly close to the age where "hangin' it up" may cross his mind. I guess I should order a spout pretty soon and worry about the rest later.

TGS
Old 10-13-2002, 02:21 AM
Bronze Member

TGScott,
I have a barrel from the montana rifle man. I found the stainless very "gummy" and unplesent to machine. Im not sure what alloy Ron Smith is using, but his stainless is much nicer to machine, and more "stain resistant" The other thing about Montana Rifleman stainless is that it is far from stainless. Now I realize that stainless is a misnomer and should read stainresistant, but my Montana Rifleman barrel rusts almost as readily as regular carbon steel. Having said this, the barrel which is chambered for 7.62x51 is very accurate. Personally I would go with Ron Smith just to support a Canadian industry and to avoid delays at the border. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

Did not know that there was an Albertan making barrels. Just to give you some options Ted Gaillard in Pathlow SK. makes excellent stainless tubes. http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/Gaillard.html
Old 10-15-2002, 03:27 PM
Writers Guild

Just remember that trying to import an action is the same as a complete rifle. Big pain in the butt. That "cheap" action is going to get real expensive once a few middle men get in the way to help you do the paper work and clear customs. Would have to be registered at the border "IF" Montana Rifleman is a recognised supplier through the eyes of C68. If not, you gonna have even more fun. If a Canadian knows how to easily import actions/rifles, please post this info.

Have you considered a Savage action? Real cheap and now with lots of aftermarket support. Can be every bit as accurate as a Rem 700 action. Very easy to change bolt heads too.

As to Barrels, I own a "shot out" Gaillard. It is one of my most accurate barrels. Would love to see what these shoot like new. Ron Smith makes good barrels too (by reputation) and his gain twist barrels have a lot of useage in Calgary area F class shooters. They seem to shoot just as well when really hot.

You may want to wait before diving into the 6.5WSM. Winchester is going to bring out another family soon... the WSSM. This will be a shorterned version of the WSM for the 22 and .243. Of course, this case would be pretty much perfect for a 6.5. Move over 6.5/284Win, there is going to be new competition soon.

Good luck...

Jerry
Old 10-16-2002, 08:09 PM

I have a Smith barrel chambered in .25 gibbs, 26 inches long. It's very accurate with max loads.Its stain resistant,easy to clean.I am using moly coated bullets with very little copper fouling. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]