Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana - outlawed laser rangefinders for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Montana - outlawed laser rangefinders for hunting?

He did call the local office in Billings and they transferred him to Helena. I'll going to get a buddy in Roundup to ask the local warden. I think the other guy may have been confused.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Just range finder may sound better.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=bigngreen;539240]HUH! Everyone I know is going to get a ticket if it were true.
I've never been asked to or checked on a LRF and I've had it hanging in plain sight!/QUOTE]

If this were true - they better start printing more ticket books - and they still won't have enough by the time the hunting season starts.

In fact they could just issue a ticket whenever anyone buys an archery tag - I know a lot of archers and can not think of one that does not run a range finder. When it comes to rifle hunters I would guess that at least half the population has them. Heck - G&F could just sit and watch all the outdoor TV shows filmed in Mt. and start sending out tickets in the mail.

I've been checked so many times in the early back season hunts I couldn't count all the times and have NEVER even been asked about a range finder.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Bronze Member

Talked to the head Worden today for region 5 and this is simply note true. I was told that it has never even been discussed...I think the first person must have had a misunderstanding with whoever they spoke with.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Gold Member

The person you spoke to might have been thinking about the new rangefinder that mounts on your bow. Leupold vendeta I belive. I know there was a lot for sale on archerytalk for a while since its illegal to have a elctronic or battery powered device, or any kind of artifitial light on your bow or arrow. So know lighted sight or nock or rangefinder mounted to your bow.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

If they were talking about rifles.... I wonder if the person or warden was thinking about the laser rangefinding scopes that are all built into one unit. Might be considered an electronic device attached to a weapon.

aroshtr
Old 08-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthunter86 View Post
Talked to the head Worden today for region 5 and this is simply note true. I was told that it has never even been discussed...I think the first person must have had a misunderstanding with whoever they spoke with.
Perfect; thanks for checking!