Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana Nonres elk/deer $$$912.00

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Montana Nonres elk/deer $$$912.00

It will be interesting to see how it comes down. I think the good outfitters will still get their business. It will definitely make outfitters compete for their business. I think the competition will create a better quality outfitted hunt for those that want to be outfitted. I think also on the flip side that the outfitters that do not do a good job will not make it. Sounds just like any other business, if you can't compete in a free market you don't make it.

Some one earlier in the thread said that they knew of ranches that were previously outfitted and now will not allow any hunting. Does that mean that they will just give up the income? That they did not need or want the income? They just liked the outfitter? If I understand the program, they are going to use the extra generated funds to increase the block management program. The change in the law does not stop land owners from charging outrageous trespass fees. So the guy that has deep pockets can still get exclusive hunting opportunities, he just has to draw like the average guy.

My final thought... When there is a guarantee of clients for my business then perhaps I could agree that outfitters should have guaranteed income.

Steve
Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Last I hunted ID, FEW years ago elk only was about $500, was on fourth yr. I was about 1 mile from MT, NATURALLY I walk up on a 180 type muley 50 yrds, no tag. Do my loop and on way back to camp I pick up a hunter. He is talking,MT THIS MT that , he is from out of state, elk hunting. Pointing out drainages, finally I have to tell him, YOU ARE IN IDAHO, big blank look comes across his face, OPPS sorry and his buddy is still in drainage hunting
Old 01-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Here in the mid west (Ohio) we are getting lots of western hunters due to the easy hunting, mild weather, easy access, and high trophy potential. I am glad non resident tags here are affordable, but if you come from a state that gouges me $600, I don't think you should be able to hunt here for $130.
I'd like to see our non-resident tag be $75, or what your state would charge an Ohio resident whichever is greater
Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Seems like this is an anti outfitter/business bill. Now outfitters will be going back to over booking clients in order to cover themselves on the draw odds.

I do feel that Fish and Game have some responsibilty in letting this happen and not supporting their outfitters .
I-161 (the bill we're talking about here) was a ballot initiative on the general election ballot last November. The main supporters of the bill are a group called Montana Public Wildlife. Their web site can be found at : Main Page

This is the mission statement for MT Fish, Wildlife and Parks:

"Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, through its employees and citizen commission, provides for the stewardship of the fish, wildlife, parks, and recreational resources of Montana, while contributing to the quality of life for present and future generations."

Where exactly in there does it say anything about "supporting their outfitters"?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Well, I've hunter Montana as a NR the last 3 years. I love the state and the people I have met there. Whatever the reason, this was really a kick in the pants. I will apply one more year, since I have a friend who wants to go and helped me get my first elk there and spent the next year away from his family serving in Iraq so I owe him.

In future years, however, I am really going to look at Colorado and other states. I am fortunate with my job and can sort of (SORT OF) justify the cost but it makes me sick to see this become a rich-man-only sport. If my kids were old enough to hunt, I would certainly not be able to bring them into the fold at these prices.

I watched the places I grew up in the midwest go from ask-and-hunt to lease-only. I really wonder for the future of our sport. The average Joe can no longer participate.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

ATH, what areas are you applying for? Three years and no elk, you should have better luck than that! Hopefully MT will not turn into a rich only hunting state, this bill was to fight that though on the face of it, it may not appear that way. The majority of outfitter licenses in my area are held or under control of uber rich owners that are changing it into exactly what it is back east.

I really agree with RockyMtnMt !!! I did not vote on this to get rid of outfitters, quite the contrary I have friends and family that are involved in outfitting. There is a small group of us that are fairly hard core hunters and try to stay involved with FWP and game management in our area and at first we were all against this because we thought it would hurt the good outfitters that we know but after talking to them on their take we got behind it. The outfitters that do a good job in our area very clearly explained this bill will not hurt them but in contrast the crook, hack jobs were fighting this tooth and nail in my area, these guys are so bad they have been run of the NF or BLM by average Joe and FWP, they can only operate via private property to cover there actions. Made the vote perty easy contrasting these two type of outfitter, though this is based only on what I see in my area.
In no way did anyone I know make this a vote against NR hunters or good outfitters, I've ran into quite a few great guys from out of state and we will usually try to help you guys out since we can get an elk anytime but for the NR you have a week or so usually, best day is if everyone gets into elk!
Hunting has changed in the last decade and locals are trying to fight it, not all ways in the best ways but in politics things rarely turn out how you wanted it to.
Blockland is absolutely critical in my area, it is about the only way to get across the narrows of private land that until recently has been access to NF or BLM. We have had millions of acres of great elk hunting locked down by uber rich owners that understand that they can land lock the NF and BLM and have private access to it for themselves then they buy an outfitter and charge big dollars or gift MT wildlife to the elect. You end up with the same kind of hunting as what has happened back east, you have to have the money and be in with the guy who can get you access to the land locked public ground. No problem what a guy does on his land but when using it to control public ground it changes. Hard issues in MT!!!
In my area the FWP has little love for outfitters, there are a couple good ones but the majority operate very shady camps but the FWP can't do anything about them since they are outfitters and on private ground. FWP is (should be) non political, they take what their given and work with it.
Non residents wanting to hunt in MT have bigger things to worry about like the wolves, at the rate this is going there won't be any non resident tags some time in the future!!
Sorry got a little long winded

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

All the 'Public Land' aka National Forest/BLM is kept/maintained by US TAXPAYER $$$$$ from the giant pool of taxpayers from all the states....yet a non-resident takes it up the cuzoo from many states! Trouble is....when you're asked to take the 'bend-over'....they don't even supply any KY jelly!!