Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana Muleys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Montana Muleys

I shot this fat pig on the run, he was headed for the hills and wasn't stopping. i had to quickly guess him at about 300 yds when i pulled the trigger, so when he turned and started running straight away i held over using my 1st mil dot (which is 300yds for my 155 Amax's) my first shot connected and put him down. The bullet entered the left ham, broke the femur bone and part of the bullet continued on and ended up resting near the heart. i later ranged the shot at 320yds, not long range by any means but still a hell of moving shot considering he was with about ten other bucks and it all happened in less than 20 seconds.

My step-brother ended up getting the muley i was after and had seen the day before but i never could find him opening morning. it was 26" wide and very nice too, the stalk was perfect and it was close enough he could have shot it with a bow.

mine grossed 164 and his 169
Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Montana Muleys

A couple of fine looking bucks I might say!!

Congrats on a good shot and a nice buck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Those boys are a little larger than the ones we grow here in East TX. What did the buck in the first pic weight? 300+?

Fine trophys!

Stephen
Old 10-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Bronze Member

A couple of real TOADS!! What part of the state did you hunt? I leave in about two weeks for a Montana muley hunt, and I can't wait. By the way, I shoot a .308 WIN myself.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

I would guess close to 300lbs live weight. South east part of the State is where we were at.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Two very nice bucks! Good job guys.
What rifles and optics did you use?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

I used my tricked out Savage .308 Tactical gun with a Mark 4 4.5-14x40 Leupold on top.

He just recently bought a Howa w/ thumbhole stock in 300WSM and Bushnell Elite 3200 ( Gun is OK but trigger has gotta go, supposed to be adjustable but it is not very user friendly, seems like when got it adjusted to the right amount of pull the safety would not engage or the bolt would fall [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])