close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

Re: Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

On public ground you cant take them off a vehicle road here in MT.There are a very few designated 4 wheeler trails on NF.People unload them and ride them on the same roads you can drive in your pickup,its amusing.
    Unread 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM
    Silver Member

Yep I laugh its 15 degrees outside and they are wearing so many clothes they cant move and I am sitting in my nice warm toasty truck LMAO

Unread 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM
    Bronze Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by buffalorancher View Post
    In my main business I have many friends that reside in Montana and have been fortunate to visit many of the ranches these people own and/or manage. Without any exceptions they complain about people from the nearest city in Montana. This and the sheer number of people that converge on the neighboring public land are the common theme. From my observations, the complaints in Montana are no different than any other state.

Something like 1% of Nebraska is public land with leasing becoming very common so all you western state residents should feel blessed to have the access you have.
    You are absolutly correct. I've had the opportunity to talk with many ranchers in Montana and for the most part they are a hard working and couteous bunch. They get a lot of pressure through the hunting season from people wishing to access their land. Most that I have asked have given a courteous "yes or no". It is unfortunate that the slob hunters continue to harass and piss off many landowners and then the land owners associate all hunters with these idots and get angry at everyone. I truely understand the reaction it is just unfortunate for everyone involved.

I had the opportunity this hunting season to sit and talk with a group of land owners that owned many square miles of country in eastern Montana. We discussed hunter land owner conflicts and to a person they expressed anger about people not courteous enough to ask permission or to follow the rules when granted permission to hunt. They then followed it up by listing the many great individuals they have met over the years who continue to return every year to hunt on their land. Many have become good friends the rancers recognized that their lives were better because they got to meet these people.

The bottom line is there are bad apples in any group you want to pick out. The mistake is in painting the whole group as being bad because of a bad experiece with a few.

Good Hunting

mm
    Unread 12-23-2008, 09:55 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor

I never said that I hate the out of state hunter, or that they are all slobs. I 100% understand that as Americans, we have the right to hunt in other states on public or private ground. What I tried to say is that I get an initial feeling of being invaded every time I see the out of state vehicle. I have invested my life to stay here and hunt. In other words, done with out in order to stay here. Right or wrong, it is the feeling that I get. It's an invasion of my space. I'm sure that most that come here to hunt are good guys, I just don't want to see them during hunting season.

You want to hunt here move here. We have the 4th largest State in the Union. The only industry left here for the most part is tourism, or building homes for people that are moving here. We get our logs from Canada, we don't mine anymore, and our largest cattle ranches are owned by out of state investment groups, or corporations and run as a tax write off.

I really am not a bitter guy. I am just very protective of my hunting heritage that I can see disappearing a little more each year. Nonya is correct, we feel like we are in the way of those who come here to hunt.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Unread 12-23-2008, 10:36 PM
    Bronze Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
    Here is a link to some of the big,recent busts here in MT,they all involve guides and their wealthy clients from out of state.If you get the details of these cases you will find many of the out of state defendants are doctors,lawyers,ect,ect.

Poachers Pay - Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks

Nice link Im glad they caught those people! But I didnt see only out of state hunters listed in fact most were montana residents.
    Unread 12-24-2008, 10:23 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapycapy View Post
    Nice link Im glad they caught those people! But I didnt see only out of state hunters listed in fact most were montana residents.

Hey Capy,

I' not sure how you came up with that. I read the whole thing and it talked about busting poaching rings that consisted of perpetrators from multiple states, and even other countries. There was little or no comment on MT residents poaching. I'm not saying that we don't have residents that poach, but the articles were about major poaching rings from out of state, and their out of state clients. It was also titled as typical recent busts.

Give me a break,

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
    Unread 12-24-2008, 11:02 AM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
    Hey Capy,

I' not sure how you came up with that. I read the whole thing and it talked about busting poaching rings that consisted of perpetrators from multiple states, and even other countries. There was little or no comment on MT residents poaching. I'm not saying that we don't have residents that poach, but the articles were about major poaching rings from out of state, and their out of state clients. It was also titled as typical recent busts.

Give me a break,

Steve
    I would have to agree with you Steve, the majority do appear to be out of state in this press release. Seems to me the fines should be much larger due to the scale of the charges.

Brian