Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

Re: Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
It's a shame you out of staters don't understand what these 3 montana natives are going through. There watching the land they used to hunt with there fathers and grandfathers be taken away by rich, disrespectful 4 wheeler riding fat slobs. I've read every post on here and have yet to see anyone state that they hate EVERY out of stater. This is what is leaving a bad taste in the natives mouths. The Rocky Mountain Elk foundation is buying up as much land as they can handle to keep all of us(including out of staters)hunting on what's left of our public lands.

Well said,this state is falling apart,being bought out and locked away,hunting is becoming a sport for the extremly wealthy and that doesnt include the natives of this state that have lived here for many generations.These arrogant SOBS with their filson outfits and new jersey attitudes ruin it for everyone,they create a stigma that every out of stater is an asshole.Unfortunatly we dont end up talking to the common man that has saved his pennies to come out here and do a do it yourself hunt,we end up having runins with the outfitters these pricks hired and their clients,running around like they own the state and us lowley serfs should stand aside so they can get their $10,000 dollars worth.No amount of money spent here is worth having to deal with these morons during our most precious time here,this state would function just fine without them and I pray the downturn in the economy will reduce their numbers for years to come.

Unread 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Rude people are not all from the East or the West.

I live in California and if you think you have problems hunting in Montana try it here on public land. Most of the people you run into don't even speak English.

My father, brother and I all belong to a hunting club so we have a place to hunt. Last opening day we found a nice buck and my brother snuck up for a shot. He was shooting my 300 win mag and when he fired you could hear the very distinctive smack of the direct hit. Another hunter that had heard the radio conversation when I was telling my brother where the buck was, started shooting at one of the other deer in the herd. The guy found the buck my brother had shot before we could get to the deer and claimed it for his own. This was on private land.

When I was young we hunted on public land and normally managed to shoot a buck. Now you are lucky to see anything on public land.

The orientals from the city areas go through the forest and shoot everything. Does, fawns, squirrels, or rabbits. Doesn't matter what it is they take it home and eat it.

Our game wardens are understaffed and don't have the budget for fuel to patrol so these people are never caught.

Count yourself fortunate that your wardens can actually catch some of the violators.

Even if you hunt areas that you might actually see another human during your hunt you are still better off than we are.

My dream hunt is for elk in Montana or Wyoming and I hope if I run into one of you locals you will treat me with the same respect I would afford you. I am not a slob hunter and would never think of horning in on your hunting location. If we are hunting in the same area I would offer to help you pack out whatever you shot and would be happy to help.

Don't throw everyone from out of state in the same category. There are ethical hunters and there are slobs from every state. The slobs are easy to spot.
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Banned

Yep most of them are being led around by overpaid worthless POS guides that think their guiding liscence is a liscence to threaten,intimidate and break countless other laws in order to pacify their clients that like to brag about how much money their hunt cost them.My hunting partners are transplants from Virginia,Nevada,Utah and Calif.,dont try to act like we automaticlly place out of staters in the slob hunter slot,the only native Montanas I hunt with are my close family,everyone else has moved here because they love MT and they respect its people,something many do not.They feel the same way about these turds as everyone else,them and the guides they pay to wipe their ass and gut their game.Look through a history of the MT F&G big bust list,almost 100% involve guides,most of them nonnatives,and their out of state clients,they perform stings every season busting these loosers that claim they can provide tgas for X amount of dollars,clients that kill game they dont have tags for,ect,et
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Nonya

I don't think anything different is happening in Montana than here in Mississippi or anywhere else as a matter of fact. I'm debating even teaching my 8 yr old son to hunt. It's becoming a rich mans sport!!! It has gone from me hunting anywhere I wanted to having no place to hunt in the past twenty five years.

I live 88 miles north of New Orleans, La. All land here is private, and if you can find a job that pays more than mimium wage, you had better jump on it. No offense to N.O. people, but they have the money, and we don't. When a local can sell a 100 acre tract of cut-over land for a half million dollars, they sell it.

I lease a 189 acre tract of 16th section land for 4 dollars an acre. Even our own county officials are telling us to up our bid or they will relist in hope that someone from Louisiana will bid 12 to 20 dollars an acre.

Ive been hunting in WY for about 12 years now, and this year was the worst ever!!! I don't think people know how to walk anymore. All they do is ride a 4 wheelers, scare all the game, and screw it up for everybody else. You also have out-of-state outfitters that try to run you off BLM land!! So, Noya, I feel your pain!!!!
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Good post Mo.

It doesn't matter what state you are from the problem is the same. Access to land to hunt, poaching, and slob hunters riding the 4 wheelers all over creation.

There was an article about the Montana game wardens setting up a mechanical deer sting at night to catch spot lighters. They caught 10 people in one night. They do the same thing in Oregon and California. One of the ranches we have access to allowed the wardens to set up the mechanical deer. In one night they caught 28 people.

All of us good sportsmen need to make sure we turn in the dirtbags when we see them doing thing they shouldn't. All of us that are true sportsmen need to get along, it doesn't matter what state you are from.
Unread 12-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Here is a link to some of the big,recent busts here in MT,they all involve guides and their wealthy clients from out of state.If you get the details of these cases you will find many of the out of state defendants are doctors,lawyers,ect,ect.

Poachers Pay - Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
Unread 12-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

I have hunted in Co all my life and yes the 4 wheelers are getting out of control, my best buddies come hunting each year from out of state and we all have a blast, no alcohol in camps they bring their wives is they so desire and kids and we have a blast. This year they brought their side by sides and we never unloaded them off the trailers. They are really fun to hunt with. I used to hunt with a bunch of guys from Ca. and it was the same way. But we have millions of acres of national forests to hunt here. Co is really getting tough on the 4 wheelers and when they go off road so its not really a use to have them any more, still gotta watch out for them on the main roads but not so much in the back country anymore.