close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

As a life long MT resident, I don't have a hatred of out of state hunters. I never left MT because I did not want to give up the out doors. I have suffered through poor economic conditions in order to stay here. I could have moved away (and almost did) but decided to stay. I have a Government that is trying, at every turn, to limit my access to public land. I have out of state money buying the right to hunt private land. The Government influence is generally funded by people from out of my State. Throughout this thread I have been told that I should be thankful for the money that comes from out state hunters, and thankful for the public land that we have (because I will still have a place to hunt after all the private land is tied up in leases by out of staters with the money that I should be thankful for).

I am generally not influenced by emotion in any of my decision making, but this subject I have a hard time separating. I apologize for the negativity with this subject. If I ever run into you in a hunting situation I will be respectful, because we are on the same side, but chances are we will not speak because I will go in a different direction before you ever know that I am there.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but it is about as well as I can put it on paper.

Steve

PS

If out of state hunters had to be accompanied by a resident, I think it would take away some of the animosity. Just a thought.

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.

Last edited by RockyMtnMT; 12-21-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: After thought.
    Unread 12-21-2008, 03:44 PM
    Gold Member

It's a shame you out of staters don't understand what these 3 montana natives are going through. There watching the land they used to hunt with there fathers and grandfathers be taken away by rich, disrespectful 4 wheeler riding fat slobs. I've read every post on here and have yet to see anyone state that they hate EVERY out of stater. This is what is leaving a bad taste in the natives mouths. The Rocky Mountain Elk foundation is buying up as much land as they can handle to keep all of us(including out of staters)hunting on what's left of our public lands.

Unread 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM
    Bronze Member

(Re: The Rocky Mountain Elk foundation is buying up as much land as they can handle to keep all of us(including out of staters)hunting on what's left of our public lands. ) B.S They need to spend some of that money protecting what's left of the elk before the wolf's desicrate whats left.
    Unread 12-21-2008, 06:04 PM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
    It's a shame you out of staters don't understand what these 3 montana natives are going through. There watching the land they used to hunt with there fathers and grandfathers be taken away by rich, disrespectful 4 wheeler riding fat slobs. I've read every post on here and have yet to see anyone state that they hate EVERY out of stater. This is what is leaving a bad taste in the natives mouths. The Rocky Mountain Elk foundation is buying up as much land as they can handle to keep all of us(including out of staters)hunting on what's left of our public lands.
    I do understand how they feel. The exact same thing is happening right here in Illinois with whitetail hunting. It is hundreds of acres instead of hundreds of square miles, but the effect is the same. Could well be the same people grabbing up whitetail habitat here that are grabbing up elk and deer habitat there.

While it may have not been said, I felt they pointed it at all out-of-staters as well.

I think MOST of us here on this forum are on the same page with this issue if we think about it.
    Unread 12-21-2008, 07:21 PM
    Bronze Member

COWBOY AND ATH THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
    Very Well Said!!
    Now that we have all calmed down a little bit I appologise for the way I worded my post I did not mean it to come out that way, but it seemed like we were getting bum rushed by everyone and being steriotyped like that angered me.
    Unread 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
    Gold Member

I listen to this in my area so its not all a western thing. I think we should all realize we are all americans and im damn proud of my country. Im 48 had the privilige when i was young to ride thru 47 of the 48 cont. states. Every state has there own beauty. When i was 16 going thru Mont. i thought and still tell everyone that was the most beatiful place i ever been. But i still love my home in w. Md. I have heard on a small bases of what some of the locals are talking about concerning leases and access. I still dont understand most of it though. I would be upset if i was denined acess to my hunting spot on private ground because some one in egypt spent money to keep me out. Mont. residents i would be upset too and i would gladly stand beside you armed to protect my ground. Did it in worse places that i didn't give a **** about protecting. What is really happening in your western states like this i still don't understand all the details. What im gathering is it something like there is public ground say 50 miles from road back in and some one bought the right of the road frontage that you cant cross the frontage to get there? I have been inquiring the last 2 years for a western elk or mule deer hunt and i cant believe i have outfitters sending me brocures living in Florida. Not to be stupid but if im booking an outfitter its because i dont know the ropes and area and would be impressed with jim bridgers great grandson, {you know where im going )
    mike

Last edited by ss7mm; 01-07-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: language
    Unread 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
    Platinum Member

I understand much of the frustration that the western residents feel. I have been on the recieving end of nonresidents as well.

I was threatened and intimidated by non-res while I hunted BLM land in Wyoming. Very interesting set of circumstances initiated the problem considering I was a non-res as well. I was on BLM land confirmed by the BLM office that I visited the day before I started hunting. The hunters in question were staying on the niegboring ranchers cabin. This rancher had outfitting and grazing rights for this blm property. This only keeps other outfitters from guiding on that property, individuals who walk in are allowed by law to hunt. These guys tried to disrupt our hunt, but that didn't work well for them because we were between 1/2 to 1 1/2 miles from the road and they didn't want to get out of there truck. I shot an antelope and after we got back to the truck about 20 minutes before legal shooting hours they confrunted me and my friend. (2nd day of deer season, they drove all the way from Ohio, and at prime time were yelling at us) go figure)

They were obviously misled by the rancher who sold them a place to hunt. They were certain we were tresspassing because the rancher told them that was "his" land. I can honestly say I had never been talked to so disrespectfully on any hunt anywhere. After showing them the maps with blm access clearly marked they went the route that the road we drove in on was private, after another map reading session, they blatently said"we don't want to see you back here"

It was a good thing I can give as hard as I can get. They threatened calling the Game Warden and I suggest that they do, so I could press charges for hunter harassment. I even gave them my name and license number so it would be easy for the warden to find me.

I'm sure that rancher was hockin down tums that night with all the pissed off clients he had to deal with. I can not begin to understand some of the motivation behind this kind of conduct. The area I hunt is a patchwork of public land, with the majority being private. There seems to be very little to no hunting pressure on the public tracts, with most of the pressure coming from the road. From the sign I seen on that particular property the Mt. lion kill more game than the hunters.

Do I hold any ill will towards those guys? not anymore. Had they understood the BLM rules and been properly instructed by there rancher/outfitter, it probably never would have happened. This was the only inciedent in many trips out west and I hope it was my last.

Ironically I asked for permission from 3 ranchers to either hunt or cross thier land to access blm.
    Everyone wanted to be paid. Whats the saying, Money is the root of all evil? I told them I would look elswhere and then continued to chat with them for 15 minutes. Even though I was denied everyone of them thanked me for asking.

Like Nonya suggested may-be there should be a test.