close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

In my main business I have many friends that reside in Montana and have been fortunate to visit many of the ranches these people own and/or manage. Without any exceptions they complain about people from the nearest city in Montana. This and the sheer number of people that converge on the neighboring public land are the common theme. From my observations, the complaints in Montana are no different than any other state.

Something like 1% of Nebraska is public land with leasing becoming very common so all you western state residents should feel blessed to have the access you have.
    Unread 12-20-2008, 08:28 PM
    Gold Member

I have a question for the residents of mont. and idaho. First i would like to say you both have beatiful country i rode thru both when i was a kid in 1976. I didnt know the feeling was that bad for non - residents. I live in Md. and mainly hunt Pa. which im only 1 mile away from and own some small acreage. I understand about hunting spots friends are friends until hunting season, i lost a long time friendship this year over a trophy deer i killed on my own property. I wanted to come out to one of the w. states such as yours or col. but have not made the right contact yet. The resaon is you have elk and muld deer we don't here in Md. What would you guys reccomnend for a guy like me to do for a hunting trip like this that i wouldn't have a non resident guide , etc. I really don't feel your down on all non residents but you ran in to some ass holes and especially the jackass who made a post here on a reckless act.
    Mike

Unread 12-21-2008, 02:50 AM
    Gold Member

Call Each states fish and game bioligists and ask for some info on where the herds are generally seen. Buy some topo maps and look at all drainages that include water. It really isn't that hard to understand where elk are in my state. Getting there is a different story.
    Unread 12-21-2008, 03:19 AM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
    Call Each states fish and game bioligists and ask for some info on where the herds are generally seen. Buy some topo maps and look at all drainages that include water. It really isn't that hard to understand where elk are in my state. Getting there is a different story.
    Thanks for your advise.
    mike
    Unread 12-21-2008, 09:22 AM
    Gold Member

There is always going to be some tension when hunters overlap, even if it is federal land (which is what I was hunting) that all technically have the right to hunt. As my local contact told me, the areas he was taking me to hunt were the same areas he'd have to hunt himself if he hadn't filled his tag during archery. We chose to avoid this by hunting a week or so into the season; all of the other out-of-staters were gone already, and most of the locals who set up camps with horses were done too.

All we encountered were a handful of locals with horses each day at the trail head. I think we got some respect for being friendly, asking where they were headed to make sure we were not going to interfere with each other...and the fact that we were humping in on foot further than they were going in with horses. The on-foot part seemed to take care of the lazy slob perception right there! I must admit there appeared to be some subliminal tension when we mentioned we were from back east though. Given some of the things that are encountered I can understand there being a bit of effort needed to "earn" a fuller acceptance. Helping a local I didn't even know tag a 160-class whitetail helped with that too.

I don't expect locals to care that I spend almost $700 for my tag or the other expenses. That's just part of the deal. On a high level, I think it is important to recognize the money this generates for the state's economy, but it's not worth it if the hunter thereby licensed to come in is a slob or an idiot. It does not buy any right to be "special" or above any standards. I grew up in a tourist area and while the money this generated was VITAL to our local economy, there was always a tension created by having the out-of-towners around so I understand this concept well. Especially if the out-of-towners felt they were special because they were spending money there. I'm not rich by any means, but I was very generous covering the important expenses (BEER) for the locals that helped me out, and when some locals offered to pack my meat out on their horses for me I paid MORE than they asked for. But the most important part is to be considerate, understand that at some level you are a guest there.
    Unread 12-21-2008, 09:41 AM
    Platinum Member

It's a shame that at least 3 members who reside in Montana would have such ill feelings towards non-residents, seemingly lumping them all into one catagory. This offends me, and probably a good number of members here, who travel to the western states every year. I understand their frustration, I use to hunt the renowned Buffalo county, but leases and trophy bucks have made free access out of the question, partly due to outfitters and non-res hunters. Would I describe those hunters as Nonya has? No, the fact that money moves the world is no suprise here.

I've hunted out west since 98, I have never had the pleasure of hunting Montana, but have hunted in both WY and CO. I typically only hunt public land, unless I am invited elswhere. Every year I load up my 10 year old truck with 15 year old camping gear and 5 year old hunting clothes. I may only stay in a hotel twice once on the way out and once back. Tags are expensive and those funds greatly help the states game departments. Why do I do It? Because it is a vacation, I love the west and enjoy the times shared with friends and familly on the mountain. Do I think I'm going to kill an animal every year, of course not. In fact of the 13 out of state tags I've bought I have harvested only 5 animals.

I would love to hunt Montana, but would hate to arive there and be pigeon holded into a cookie cutter image of a slob out of stater. If gamedog, Nonya, and I were to meet under normal conditions, I'm sure we would get along well and have interesting conversations and may-be grab some beers. But from the attitudes shown on this particular topic, I'm sorry to say if I came to Montana hunting, I would rather not meet them in the field.

Everyone has stories to tell about;tresspassers, poor shooters, 4 wheelers, ignorant landowners, being kicked off public lands, someone claiming your animal, ect. It happens in every state. Res. and non-res alike. Don't let that stop anyone from hunting in any state they choose, you may just miss out on an opportunity to meet some very nice people, and have a great hunt.
    Unread 12-21-2008, 12:13 PM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
    It's a shame that at least 3 members who reside in Montana would have such ill feelings towards non-residents, seemingly lumping them all into one catagory. This offends me, and probably a good number of members here, who travel to the western states every year. I understand their frustration, I use to hunt the renowned Buffalo county, but leases and trophy bucks have made free access out of the question, partly due to outfitters and non-res hunters. Would I describe those hunters as Nonya has? No, the fact that money moves the world is no suprise here.

I've hunted out west since 98, I have never had the pleasure of hunting Montana, but have hunted in both WY and CO. I typically only hunt public land, unless I am invited elswhere. Every year I load up my 10 year old truck with 15 year old camping gear and 5 year old hunting clothes. I may only stay in a hotel twice once on the way out and once back. Tags are expensive and those funds greatly help the states game departments. Why do I do It? Because it is a vacation, I love the west and enjoy the times shared with friends and familly on the mountain. Do I think I'm going to kill an animal every year, of course not. In fact of the 13 out of state tags I've bought I have harvested only 5 animals.

I would love to hunt Montana, but would hate to arive there and be pigeon holded into a cookie cutter image of a slob out of stater. If gamedog, Nonya, and I were to meet under normal conditions, I'm sure we would get along well and have interesting conversations and may-be grab some beers. But from the attitudes shown on this particular topic, I'm sorry to say if I came to Montana hunting, I would rather not meet them in the field.

Everyone has stories to tell about;tresspassers, poor shooters, 4 wheelers, ignorant landowners, being kicked off public lands, someone claiming your animal, ect. It happens in every state. Res. and non-res alike. Don't let that stop anyone from hunting in any state they choose, you may just miss out on an opportunity to meet some very nice people, and have a great hunt.
    Well said.