Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Molly coated bulletts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 09:02 PM

Molly coated bulletts

Is it not a good idea to shoot molly coated and copper coated bulletts out of the same gun. Our local Snipper said that you can not mix them, thanks, Traper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Molly coated bulletts

What harm comes from mixing them?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

I don't think that it would actually hurt anything. However, if you got the bore seasoned to moly and switched to the uncoated load, it may shoot differently than it would in a bore used to uncoated bullets (and vice versa). You should be able to switch back and forth without this concern by cleaning properly in between.

I'm not an expert in this area but I believe that explanation has some validity.

Carl
Old 05-01-2006, 11:04 AM

I was told that ef you switch from molly coat bullet to copper coat that you loose accuracy, later, Traper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it without a valid explanation. How does a material having the hardness of chrome molly or stainless get "seasoned" by a coated bullet passing through it?. Metallurgical characteristics may perhaps be altered by a hardening, annealing or tempering, none of which are possible by simple firing. So coating remains the only alternative that I can think of, and certainly nothing that cannot be returned to virgin material with a good cleaning. Maybe you should ask the local Snipper for a more thorough explanation, I'd sure like to hear it. I've heard the same statements from the "so called" experts at the local gun stores.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

the "seasoned" he is refering to is when the moly fills in the microscopic pores of the metal.

d-a
Old 05-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with ZINGODINGO. If you switch back and forth you will never have a unifirm bore coating and velocity & accuracy will be unpredictable.

However, If you try moly coated bullets and then want to switch to naked bullets just give the bore a good cleaning with JB compound or a similar product. Any residual moly will eventually be removed by the subsequent firing of naked bullets.I have never experienced a problem doing this.

I also have never had a problem with my rifles that are feed moly bullets exclusively.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]