Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Modular weighting for recoil reduction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Modular weighting for recoil reduction

I think it's a good idea, esp when combined with some of the custom tripod's I've seen here.
The mercury idea really interests me. I did a lot of research in that last year and all the feedback I got was they worked great for shotguns but not for rifles. I don't understand why they wouldn't work for a rifle, the physics is the same. Kirby told me to try my guns with his Holland QD brakes. I was very skeptical he could tame the 375 RUM he was building for me. The big RUM kicks less than my .243 - really amazing. I'm a kick sissy and I highly recommend the Holland QD.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

I installed a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock of my 300 RUM. It does seem to help me when shooting prone. I feel that having it installed parrallel to the bottome of the stock has helped with getting back on target a little quicker, and the jump of the muzzle appears to be less severe. Doesn't really change the force of the recoil, but makes it a little smoother.

Sasquatch, (elusive as ever)
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 12-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

http://www.rwhart.com/html/catalog.html