Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Modification suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Modification suggestions?

Hello, I'm just looking for some suggestions on modifications I can make to my hunting rifle to make it as reliable of a shooter as possible. I live in Rapid City, SD, so we have lots of hills and open country. That means I need a dependable shooter because conditions vary from one side of a hill to the next. I picked up a barely used Rem 700 SPS in 30-06. it's got a cheapo scope on it and it's all stock-no upgrades or anything. black stainless barrel. black lightweight synthetic stock. what would you all suggest? I know i need good glass. Any other suggestions? This rifle I would consider something to teach myself to get used to shooting at longer ranges. up to maybe 500 yards comfortably. So i plan on using this for a while. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Modification suggestions?

So, are we to understand you don't want to replace the barrel or have the action worked on at this point?

First I'd get the trigger reduced to about 2 pounds. Next, invest in a stock. I just saw 4 HS-Precisions for sale here on the forums tonight, and get it bedded properly by someone who knows what they are doing.

Until you are ready to move fwd and make more modifications, the above is a good start. Buy the best scope you can afford. I have several matte Leupold 4.5x14.40 AO VX-IIIs I'm willing to sell. They are used and I'm thinking around $350.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

A good scope is a must. I would suggest a Nightforce 2.5-10 for a sporter weight hunting rifle. Another good option would be an SWFA. These two scopes have a solid reputation for accurate, repeatable turrets, and pretty good glass.
Do you reload? Another must for best accuracy. Does the gun shoot? If you can get MOA accuracy out of it you have a good big game rifle for 500 yards. I would have a trigger job done even if it is a shooter. Has it been glass bedded?
Another good option might be to send it to Hill Country Rifles and let them do an accuracy job. It will be pillar and glass bedded, trigger done, and they hold a pretty high standard for accuracy. It's also a pretty good value for what you get.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Well I'm open to all options. This isn't a "money is no option" situation, so I would definitely need to go in order of importance. I did see those stocks on here a little bit ago, but the ad said they were for heavy contour barrels, which mine is not of course. so it would require putting a new barrel on it. Is this necessary with a fairly new barrel? If getting the action worked on is high up on the list, i'm willing to do that first. I want to get the best I can out of the rifle. I want to have the confidence that it will outshoot me and the ability to firmly know that any shooting error would be of my fault on not with my rifle.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with the above by COBrad.

When you really want the rifle to be accurate, you can certainly keep it in a 30.06 but I recommend several other calibers that will work with that action. The following are better known for long range shooting:

280 Remington
280 Ackley Improved
6.5-284 Norma
270 Winchester
6.5-06

When the time comes, buy a great match grade barrel from a maker of your choice. Get the action blueprinted/accurized/trued....whatever term cranks your tractor. Have the barreled action bedded properly in a quality stock.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknwell View Post
Well I'm open to all options. This isn't a "money is no option" situation, so I would definitely need to go in order of importance. I did see those stocks on here a little bit ago, but the ad said they were for heavy contour barrels, which mine is not of course. so it would require putting a new barrel on it. Is this necessary with a fairly new barrel? If getting the action worked on is high up on the list, i'm willing to do that first. I want to get the best I can out of the rifle. I want to have the confidence that it will outshoot me and the ability to firmly know that any shooting error would be of my fault on not with my rifle.
Then do this:

"When the time comes, buy a great match grade barrel from a maker of your choice. Get the action blueprinted/accurized/trued....whatever term cranks your tractor. Have the barreled action bedded properly in a quality stock." ----as I just posted.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

My opinion: waste of time and money to true an action and stick a mediocre factory barrel back on it, and waste of time and money to put a new match barrel on a non-trued action. Do yourself a favor, box up that rifle, mail it to Dave Bruno in Dayton, PA, tell him what you want done, and in a few months he'll build you a tack driver. He's built 5 for me and 2 for a buddy, and I don't know how many referrals I've sent him that are thrilled. Lots of good smiths here on the forums as well. Thank me later.

Even though you have a fairly new FACTORY barrel, you can sure shoot it but it may be crap, it may serve you well. I think guys (and gals) get a lot less frustrated when you start this whole long range shooting thing with quality equipment.

I think a great one named Chad Dixon lives in your state. Yep, check out his site:

LongRifles, Inc.