Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

model 700, SPS stock improvement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 AM

model 700, SPS stock improvement

I would like to make this SPS in 243 shoot accurately to 500 yds. is this reasonable with the factory stock, and would it be better to glass bed, add pillars or a combination of both?
I would like to remain with the 243 and this stock if possible, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: model 700, SPS stock improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouser View Post
I would like to make this SPS in 243 shoot accurately to 500 yds. is this reasonable with the factory stock, and would it be better to glass bed, add pillars or a combination of both?
I would like to remain with the 243 and this stock if possible, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck
Have you tried shooting your rifle at that range? I had an SPS Varmint in 308 that shot sub-MOA with the factory barrel and stock.

Most gunsmiths will not bed the stock on your SPS. Bedding materials don't stick to it very well. Also, it's not a very good stock (many would says it's a piece of junk and I would generally agree). My recommendation would be to buy another stock. There are many to choose from....

Other things to consider doing with your rifle that would help with long range accuracy would be to tune the trigger and recrown the barrel. I've done this more than once....

Nephew's Transformed Rifle!

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!

My 280 - Updated!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Bronze Member

I would buy another stock and pillar bed. the .243 should do fine.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

I have a stainless sps 30-06. I tried what you are mentioning doing and I may suggest that you will be better to buy a new stock. You can pick up a great laminate off of ebay. I got a new one for around $100.00 do a search for "Remington 700 stock". That being said I did do a successful bedding job on my sps stock. I removed a lot of material and really built it up to make it work. I bedded the entire action and about the first 2 inches of barrel. This sucks to do because it burns up a lot of bedding material. I used the Devcon plastic steel epoxy and it is simply amazing for this job. I cut down a large portion of the recoil lug area. Then I created undercuts for mechanical retention. because of the hollow design of the stock and the way that they created a plastic pillar for the front guard screw it makes it very difficult to use new pillars and this is why I recommend that you go with a stock swap. You will be most happy in the end I assure you. If your situation is that you cannot get a new stock, I would try to bed the sps and make due. The bedding job on my sps stock reduced my group size by approximately 35%. Here is a you tube series of videos where a guy beds his SPS Varmint 308. A little bit different stock design on the outer but the inner design is the same and it should help. His method is very similar to what I did to be my SPS.

YouTube - Remington 700 SPS varmint bedding therifle action part 1/9

This is the first video in a series of 9 total that takes you from start to finish for this job. Make sure that you watch them all he is quite thorough. Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Do what i did, throw the stock away dont even try to sell it. Replace it with an Hs, Mcmillian, etc. I won a 22-250 last year and tried bedding it, what a joke. I actually let my grandson play with it.
Mike
Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

I bedded my stock for SPS Varmint in .223 well I'm not professional but here what thing looked like

and it shoots groups like this compare to 3/4" before bedding it...

by the way I replaced it with B&C A2 Medalist Tactical and it shoots the same...
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

That's funny, I just went and carved my own!

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...&image_id=4193

I had no problem getting bedding material to stick to my SPS stock but it is so flexible that it would bend up and contact the barrel when I shot it off a bipod. My bipod groups were a good 4"-6" higher than off the bags. Not acceptable for field use where you may be shooting off who knows what for support.

Last edited by davkrat; 06-08-2010 at 12:13 AM.