Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Missouri Ground Hogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 08:11 AM
SPONSOR

Missouri Ground Hogs

My family owns a fairly large soybean farm in Missouri and I have just become aware of the fact that they may have some ground hogs. Has anyone on here got any experince shooting these things. Just curious where to find them and or if anyone has any tips for hunting them.
Thanks
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 06-21-2005, 09:05 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Missouri Ground Hogs

The land is just south of Kansas City area.
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 06-21-2005, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

They look a little like what you'd expect if a sasquatch and Janet Reno were to have a kid. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Check near large rocks, rock piles, fence lines and inspect any mounds of earth in the field. The holes will be large enough to stick and arm into. Once you've located the holes it's just a matter of glassing for them in those areas. Sometimes they'll be out and about (ground grizzly mode) and other times they'll just stick their head out of the hole and sun themselves (dirt alligator mode).

If they're out and about they'll stand up often to get a look around and seem to prefer coming out in the mid morning and late afternoon on hot days but about anytime on cloudy or cool days. Best time I've found is just after a rain when even the old smart three legged ones seem to venture out a little way.

They're pretty tough and it only counts as a kill if you touch the critter (if they make it back into the hole it's not a kill).
Old 06-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

I am just south of KC myself. Groundhogs are few and far between around here- typically a 2-3 hog day would be a good one. Have a bunch of them in the city (no predators), but the farms seem to have one here and there. If you want drop me an email and we can hook up for the "hunt."
Old 06-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Used to hunt them around Ft. Leonard Wood near Rolla. If the soybeans are tall you will have a hard time getting any long shots. They are a little funny critters and like to climb up a sloping log or downed tree so they can nap and look around. They won't climb much more than two or so feet high but often that is enough for you to see them. Those are really good shots when you can knock them off their perch at long distance.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 PM

I'm from Wichita & if ever you guys going huntin .... I would like to hitch w/ you people, if you don't mind. Just let me know how much i'll cheapin & when. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 05:25 PM
SPONSOR

Well, Lerch and I called the people who are leasing the farm, and no chucks.

Our search then took us to New Mexico. I know a guy who is a game warden near Tucumcari. He is a shooter and said he has never heard of anyone shooting them. He grew up down in southern NM, so if it does go on further up north he just may not know about it. Any info here would sure help.

Just when we had given up hope, Lerch got an email from a guy in east central MO. The guy said they had a few there but long range was out of the question. He suggested east KS for long range chucks.

I managed to find a map of the counties in KS where chucks have been confirmed to live. The problem is how many? I don't want to drive 6-8 hours for 2 shots all weekend.

Another problem is the fact that we will simply have to make contact with a farmer to obtain permission once we get out there. Again, any info here would be appreciated.

Chris and Domster:
If we do manage to get something going in this region, I'll let you know. We'd love you guys to come along.

Thanks for all the info guys.
B.J.