Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Missouri Gobbler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Missouri Gobbler

Sambo 3006, Huntem,
Thanks for the info guys. I was pretty much trying to be funny when I wrote about my recent turkey hunt (not quite a drive-by but not far from one either...). I know guys who are so into turkey hunting that they would choose a turkey hunt over a deer hunt. That is not me, simple as that.
We were pressed for time on that last hunt - the Nilgai did not want to play and we did not see a lot of piggies. Turkeys were everywhere we looked. interesting comments about coyotes and regulations on hunting them.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Had a great hunt this morning. In Missouri, you must wait until the second week of the season to hunt for your second bird. Went out yesterday morning with my bow and only saw one gobbler. I had my decoy set up and was calling him in when some cows wandered over and scared him off.
Took my Mossberg this morning, and the birds were gobbling better. I was working one and some unseen hens busted me. An hour later I heard another one gobbling, but he wouldn't come to my calls. I walked up to a ridgetop field where I had been seeing a tom and I heard him gobbling. I eased up the hill through the woods and spotted him in the field with a jake. He was strutting around at about 80 yards. I got in position next to a tree and voice yelped. It took about 10 minutes and a few quiet yelps, but I finally got a shot at 32 steps. Another beautiful 2 year old tom. Probably 18-19 lbs with a 10 inch beard and 7/8" spurs.
I use a slate call for long distance calling, but have learned to imitate hen yelps with my voice. Most of my birds over the last 5 or 6 years have been fooled by voice calling. I sound like a sick vulture if I try to use a diaphragm call, with some gagging thrown in for good measure.
Looking forward to some fried wild turkey breast. Good luck to the other turkey hunters!

NRA Life Member
Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Bronze Member

Congrats on your second tom. I've been trying every weekend for my second to no avail. This Saturday is our last day I hoping to have better luck. This is my first year turkey hunting and so far so good, my first having a 9&1/16 beard right spur 1&1/4 and the left spur 1&1/8, but I have to work on my calling skills. I will say that it is an addictive sport.