Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Missouri Gobbler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Missouri Gobbler

I blasted a coyote while turkey hunting in Kansas a couple of years ago. 3 of them came in to my turkey calls and one of them hopped up on a stump at 50 yards. I didn't think it would kill it cleanly, but I blew him off the stump and he rolled around for less than a minute before expiring. This was with 2 oz of #6 from a 3.5" mag Winchester shell. I have never messed with it, but I think BB shot would probably be deadly on yotes at 50-60 yds or less if you were calling them.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Bronze Member

I got my first turkey ever Saturday 04-22-06. Unlike Ian's experience mine was pretty good. At first light I had four or five gobbling around me and the one I shot flew off the roost about 50 yards from me. I made two or three yelps on a diaphram call and about 20 minutes (it seemed like) he strutted out from behind a small ceder tree and I took my 40 yard shot (bang flop).

Old 04-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Bryan D,
Congratulations on your first turkey!!! I must warn you that turkey hunting has been shown to be extremely addictive. The symptoms of addiction are lots of itching and scratching and red bloodshot eyes (seed ticks and getting up at 4AM 2 weeks straight).
You better post a picture or some of these guys will hound you until you do!

NRA Life Member
Old 04-28-2006, 05:13 PM

oldfamily,not to be an *****,but it is also against the law to shoot a coyote during turkey season in Mo.Also the pups are going to starve when you kill the female this time of year.Don't get me wrong now as I would rather hunt coyotes than anyother game we have in Mo.I spend more time hunting them than all other game that I hunt.You just never know who will read a post and admitting to a law violation over the net isn't too wise.Have a good one.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:10 PM

Bryan I also got my first turkey that morning. I had never been that big on it till last year. It sure is a rush when he is out there gobbling all the way to you.
good luck to all, Kevin
Old 04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

I've tried to post some pics, but can't quite figure it out right now. I will try some more later. I also talked to one of our game wardens two weeks ago, and he told me that if at anytime I see a coyote (other than Sunday) to shoot to kill.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Silver Member

John you can shoot them just not hunt them so to speak. The reason is that people would poach turkeys and say that they are coyote hunting. This is why they have a closed season this time of year. You can not even have a gun in the woods prior to the opening of turkey season. As far as the pups starving, it might sound harsh but, there are enough of these things around here. I have seen 18 total the first week of season. I have not seen that many around here before. Most at once was five in one field, all running the edges.